Tour de France 2018 and associated Grand Tours

This may be the stupidest question I’ve ever asked in the pro cycling threads but could he move over to the track?

speaking of track, discussion of euro champs in here?

Yes yes.

Think I’m gonna try and get to the road race. Cycling club got offered tickets for some velodrome stuff but I’m working. Apparently the atmosphere in there when a race is on is cracking!

only been to the London velodrome for the 2016 track WCs but it was immense - Laura Trott winning the scratch race and the men’s pursuit final, wonderful evening

No idea tbh, although I don’t think there’s much money in track cycling unless you’re heavily sponsored. Given that the elite level is usually based on teams of national federations, I’d guess there’d be an even bigger emphasis on discipline too.

Spent a small fortune on tickets when I was drunk one night last year. Velodrome on Friday (team pursuit finals, I think), plus BMX the following weekend. Will be through for the mountain biking, road races and TTs as well.

Atmosphere at Glasgow velodrome has been pretty muted for the events I’ve attended (even the World Cup), although this will definitely be the biggest event I’ve seen there. Was at the Team Pursuit final at the 2016 Worlds too - Atmosphere was insane! Especially that second-last lap when GB team snuck into the lead! Ed Clancy is probably still kicking himself!

Sounds quality. Gutted i can’t go to this one.

never seen a crowd fall so flat once the Aussies came back :frowning:

1 Like

Did she wear a false beard to get into the pursuit?

2 Likes

No, probably not. Doubt the French federation would want to touch him. He also didn’t come through the track system, which is generally a British and Australian way of developing. Rode as an amateur on the road between 2006-10 and turned pro in 2011. And as said, there’s not much in track cycling, especially for someone with his ego

Aqua Blue buy out Veranda’s Willems-Crelan, meaning that’s Wout Van Aert will be riding for Aqua Blue in 2019

2 Likes

Direct Energie applying for WT license. Could be Bouhanni’s next job if they do go WT

Thought he’d signed for Lotto Jumbo, no?

No, not yet. Is still contracted to VW-C until 2020, so now part of the aqua blue set-up. The story last week evidently was speculation. I imagine he’d have moved Lotto if the buyout didn’t happen. The press release says he’ll stay with aqua blue next year

Aaaahhhh, gotcha!

Basically Aqua Blue have got pissy about not getting invites to WT races and GTs. They’ll be sorted for all the classics now, and more

1 Like

this dude ran every stage of the tour

1 Like

Must have felt like a right dildo when someone told him it was a bike race.

2 Likes

In confusing news, sniper cycling (the company that own VW-C) have said that they’re not being taken over by Aqua Blue, Aqua Blue have taken down a press release and the owner of Aqua Blue tweeted something about fake news. Who knows shrugs. WVA won yesterday’s stage of the Tour of Denmark and is in the leaders jersey. Would be nice to see him concentrating on the road.

Michael Valgren has signed for Dimension Data (good signing that).

I see Van Aert is taking it in good humour

1 Like

Bernal and Landa had a horror crash in Klasikoa apparently. Alaphilippe wins the race