Townes Van Zandt

Hello Dissers, talk to me about TVZ?! I’ve always known a few of his tracks without ever delving into his back catalogue.

And i’m currently obsessed with Fare the well Miss Carousel.

Suggestions/talk please?!

Is @incandenza not a big fan?!

RIP

1 Like

hey man! I was just playing my mum a TVZ tune the other day and enthusing about him. thing is though, I’ve gone through his choicest albums a few times, but I wouldn’t say I was an expert?

but I was thinking I want to get even better acquainted with his tunes.

I’ve gone through For the Sake of Song, Our Mother The Mountain, Delta Momma Blues, The Late, Great Townes Van Zandt and High, Low and In Between, and it’s all gold. he’s just so consistent. one of those artists where you can just stick him on for hours and it all hits the spot.

this here’s my favourite tune:

2 Likes

you’ve also got the great live album, Live at the Old Quarter, Houston, Texas. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

love the joke at the start of this :smiley: and ofc the tune’s great

1 Like

well i’m going to assume you’re the most expert on the subject on DiS! :slight_smile:

As mentioned before i’ve always known a few tracks of his but last weekend one of my good pals had him on and i thought it was time to delve in. He’s fucking great and i’m only through one and a half records, the first being Townes Van Zandt and now after your recommendation Delta Momma Blues! :+1::grinning:

and thanks for the recommendations below as well. looking forward to immersing myself in it all. In Fact the tv is away this sat night, weed, wine and TVZ for this Disser! :grinning:

1 Like

I love Our Mother the Mountain (although some people hate it because of the elaborate string arrangements). This song in particular (later covered by Tindersticks):

1 Like

This could be getting a spin next :+1:

prefer the s\t and late great albums wise. tend to think of him as a song guy rather than an album guy tho.

is hard to touch

also

shit, accidentally reccomended the two most depressing songs he or anyone else ever wrote, oops.

2 Likes

As said above, just ridiculously consistent. Here are a couple of my favourites:

1 Like

snake mountain blues is great

Colter Wall did a cover of it which is somehow even more Townes-y

We all seen the film about him? Cause it’s fucking great :+1:

2 Likes

Sweet, will check this out

Wasn’t aware of this cover somehow!

One of the greatest songwriters ever… tragic.

3 Likes

Recommended listening for TVZ fans;

What’s the one about children dying and turning into flowers (or something)?
Someone played it for me once, been trying to track it down for ages.

Always really liked this one: