Toy Story 4

The opening third of Wall-E is right up there for that.

2 Likes

The opening of that film is the best thing they’ve done and some of the best visual storytelling in the history of cinema. It’s an insanely audacious way to start a kids/family film.

7 Likes

A whole movie of WALL-E and EVE pottering about would’ve been amazing. I think they should’ve just gone for it - we’ve watched it a couple of times as a family and my sons interest (and ours) wanes once he’s on the space station.

2 Likes

The Iron Giant is one of my all time favourite films and I love Pixar so The Incredibles should have been well up there for me but I dunno it’s just alright. Not in top tier for me, Clive.

Not seen the 2nd one.

wall-e is a great film

5 Likes

Pixar: Thanks for the first half of WALL-E, but it’s time to say goodbye.

(I have watched TS3 but cannot remember a single thing about it, therefore it must be overrated thanks)

Feel like you’ve only described one aspect here. Sure, that’s how Mr Incredible views it but the entire film frames him as a self-important idiot.

The political pull of government vs powers is all through superhero stuff this is just a less horrific version than the X-Men style one of framing the government like Nazis.

Personally the film seems to be addressing the general contradiction of any type of law enforcement: on the one hand I think we all want people to uphold the law but on the other we recognise how those power structures are always so open to be laced with corruption and danger for us. I don’t think the film ever comes down on one side or the other with this, it makes the point that it’s complicated and manages to include a spy caper-cum-normal superhero narrative within that. As such I think it’s a lot more political and thought provoking than most of the MCU. I mean Iron Man dallies with the same sort of stuff but ultimately returns to, “Tony is basically good so it’s cool, yeah?”

1 Like

plus the mum and dad actually tell dash at the end not to dust the other kids in the race. like “yeah, use your talent and win, but don’t be a prick about it.” i believe this is exactly what karl marx would have said if his son had superpowers.

1 Like
2 Likes

Ok, so I hadn’t watched Toy Story 3 again since my first viewing years ago. Did so today with the kids, and that’s a belter, isn’t it? Perfect ending.

Was going to say I have no idea where they go from there, but then I recalled the Toy Story shorts on Disney channel. If you’ve not seen them, they’re very, very good.

Can’t find an amazing link to it, but Party-Saurus Rex is one of the best 5 minutes this planet has to offer:

2 Likes

Can someone just confirm if they made any short films after Toy Story 3? I’m not 100% sure…

:wink:

4 Likes

I think they’re called Le Tournoi

2 Likes

John Wick crossover?