Trail of Dead 2020: new album, tour, and set list (actually)

Yeah! I liked it because I’m old and boring but you’re absolutely right, it’s not exactly CBGB, is it.

(talking out my arse now) I’ll be interested to see what other loud bands sound like in there, because it’s an oddly tall room for its size and I wonder if that has implications for the sound balance.

World’s Apart was just a bit dull, sorry guys.

1 Like

two songs on it that I like, the first one/two and Caterwaul

4 Likes

yeah I listened back to it after all epimer’s chat. a generous 4/10 album

1 Like

Good album inmy imho opinion

lol at when he goes full Liam Gallagher in ‘Let It Ride’

3 Likes

I agree those are the highlights, but I think the one about Michael Jackson was pretty good too. Overall though it seemed like they couldn’t choose between trying to write a prog epic and a breakthrough alt-rock hit.

Naa, it’s the best one.

3 Likes

I think that’s fair enough, it’s 20 years old. Not like you go to practice and just play the album front to back, probably songs theyve never really played live etc.

2 Likes

yeah, they’re a strange band aren’t they? saw them in 2002 on the Source Tags tour, which was incredible - was at Leeds Uni too, so they were shifting a fair amount of tickets back then. Recently saw them at Club Academy in Manchester a good few years back now - might’ve been 2014 or something? they were good, but seeing them in a much smaller venue was a bit weird.

£20-ish seems a bit steep too, not sure if this has contributed to smaller crowds and not selling out venues, but hey ho. Some of the later albums are pretty decent - Tao Of The Dead isn’t a masterpiece, but deffo has moments. World’s Apart is good too. They had a little EP just after Source Tags too called The Secret of Elena’s Tomb - that’s awesome.

1 Like

I’d love them to say “that’s it, we cant play any of these songs for a while, next few years will be all post Worlds Apart songs”

Reckon it would give them a new lease of life.

Isnt that basically what they did from COTS and TOTD? Reenergised! New! TOD are back with songs that arent quite as good as the old ones but they’re trying OK!

1 Like

Pretty sure I have seen them tour around everyone of their albums from Madonna on, and the set has been essentially the same.

Are they still playing that awful 20 minute totally natural jam?

It was more contained on this tour but that will be to do with set placement

Last time i saw it they were looking at eachother like ‘this is a bit shite isnt it’

1 Like

They do stretch Teenhood out for ages

1 Like

It got a bit Fred Durst guitar solo last night.

1 Like

Never mind

1 Like

I guess? I was thinking back to when we realised playing the same set each gig was probably a better option, so we’d do the entire set at least once in each rehearsal just as we’d play it live. It made sure we got very good at it and super slick. I assumed they were touring this a lot and always in order so I’d be surprised if they need the set list to know that bit of it. I’d imagine it’s there more for people who get the setlist than the band. Just a bit light joshing!