Train routes you would like to take

Trans-Siberian railway, obvs, with lots of stop offs, obvs.

Wanted to go on The Ghan, but it’s just too fucking expensive

Others?

1 Like

I’ve done The Ghan - was good :+1:

2 Likes

Would love to get the train to Paddington rn, ngl.

2 Likes

I quite fancy doing the one that goes across Canada (but I think I’d want to be able to get off and explore rather than go straight across):

I read this recently and wanted to do pretty much the whole trip:

Off the back of this, I did look into seeing how much it’d be to do a Orient Express trip from Venice to London… turns out it costs A LOT. One for when I’ve won a few quid on the lottery I think.

1 Like

there’s a night train from brussels to vienna now

4 Likes

Always fancied a crack at The Orient Express. Although I suspect the reality would be somewhat less special than the literary depictions suggest

4 Likes

I don’t really fancy taking any long train journeys across different countries right now!!!11

2 Likes

Done that. There is very little to see along the way.

Oh, that’s a shame! It sounds epic in the description, but of course they want people like me to buy tickets :smiley:

1 Like

I went on the train from Fort William to Mallaig at the beginning of the year and it was spectacular. Wish I was in Scotland right now.

7 Likes

I’ve always wanted to go along the Balkan coast via train, remember having it planned out then life got in the way.

Yes please to the trans Siberian (/ Manchurian / Mongolian)!

I love sleeper trains

Is that actually possible? I originally wanted to do my Balkan holiday by train but there’s so few Balkan trains (especially by the coast iirc? where were you looking to go?) that I ended up doing buses the whole way, apart from a minivan from Belgrade to Sarajevo (9 hours, including 2 hours of chaotically driving around Belgrade to pick people up from random points all across the city and outskirts. They had been driving for an hour before picking me up as well)

Trans Mongolian Express, some of the scenic ones in Scotland, Sunset Limited across the southern USA. Would love to do a bullet train in Japan too but don’t know the routes or anything.

I was booked onto this, Seattle to Chicago, in 2011 but it didn’t run cos of extensive flooding in Montana

So definitely this

5 Likes

A pretty one in Scotland. Have been on 1 long train before (beijing to xian) but the train had beds and I slept for most of it

1 Like

Chesterfield to rugeley. Imagine the sights.

3 Likes

Far North Line says hi

5 Likes

It may have been a mix with buses (this is so long ago I have forgotten exactly the route I had planned haha).

1 Like

Not enough murdering :-1:

4 Likes