Train travel - good things

Aye, there’s a couple of brilliant guards I get semi regularly. One who announces every station as if its the next stop on a magical mystery tour… Another who always has a fact of the day and talks about whose birthday it is. Nice little touches.

1 Like

Your not driving the Merc surely that’s a bad thing?

When I went from Copenhagen to Hamburg my train got on a boat

Still the greatest moment of my life

22 Likes

We do! It’s only these lads though…

190214%20Shuttle

1 Like
  • i got this joke
  • i did not get this joke

0 voters

i’m getting a train tomorrow

I wish we had trains in Ireland so I could contribute to this thread.

Might be leaving London.

That’s about it.

Some journeys, when they go well, can be wonderful.

The TransPennine route between Manchester and York via Huddersfield is staggeringly beautiful, however the trains are often overcrowded, conversely the Non-stop LNER York to King’s X takes a shade over 2 hours. 180 plus miles in a couple of hours. And whilst they still have the HSTs and Class 91 locos, so comfortable!

One issue with newer long distance trains like the Voyagers and Pendelinos is that they are so much less comfortable than old style coaching stock. Haven’t been on a new Hitachi one yet.

1 Like

Shrugs

I thought we had it sorted

Me too. :train2:

Yeah I’ve never been on board (lol) with the Virgin stock personally. Plus if I’m sitting facing the rear of the train on a Pendolino then my travel sickness flares up big time.

1 Like

Getting a cheap(er) advanced fare saving by pre-booking with thetrainline.com

Don’t do it now i’m a very important business-related businessman, but i used to have a little trick where i’d see the buffet cart coming, drape my coat over my knee and when he/she turned the other way nab a beer. Never failed.

6 Likes

When you’re just slightly dozing off and there’s that train noise that sounds a little bit like the tardis from Dr who, usually when you go through a tunnel or something.

I did this from Catania to Genoa. Its amazing!

I thought there would just be a bridge or a tunnel or something. But no, the TRAIN got on a BOAT.

3 Likes

I’d love to go on that, and then visit Miniatur Wunderland.

Miniatur Wunderland is one of the best touristy things I’ve ever done, it is sensational. I couldn’t get over the scale of it, it’s so impressive.

1 Like