Travel stories

Suppose the driver’s got to do something to stay awake.

5 Likes

Travelled across the whole of Russia with an expired visa only to get stopped on the Mongolian border where we were found out and forced to go to some weird town in Siberia with a giant Lenin head to get new visas and then new train tickets but there wasn’t another train for 3 days so we stayed with a kind Russian grandma who fed me lots of dumplings and called me Pushkin.

2 Likes

She can’t drive, so I’m now deeply concerned for your safety.

those Viz letters too… :joy:

2 Likes

Also paid a Russian taxi driver $100 upfront then the journey was only 15 minutes. Loads of other stuff too. It was a wild few days.

How did you find the kind russian grandma?

using his remarkable sense of smell

1 Like

“This one smells kind”

That is a remarkable sense of smell indeed

1 Like

When I was a young, wet behind the ears new graduate, I travelled down south for a job interview. On the way back up I had some time to kill and stood for a bit in WH Smith’s reading job adverts in New Scientist. Train arrives and I go to my purse to get the tickets and I can’t find my purse. Search everywhere and it’s gone. Have a mild panic attack that I’m stuck in London with no tickets and no money. I end up going to the ticket office and actually cried in front of the clerk and said my purse had been stolen (as I assumed that was what happened). They thankfully took pity on me and gave me a new ticket and I got on the next train. Got a phone call the next day - my purse had been found on the shelf in Smiths where I’d been reading magazines and handed in. :joy::joy::joy: doofus.

2 Likes
1 Like

err, didn’t mean to post that :joy:
have it anyway

11 Likes

I like it. It’s a mid-thread palate cleanser.

2nd doing of the day.

'sake.

Was getting a bus from Malaysian Borneo to a city that’s basically at the frontier of the jungle in Indonesian Borneo, and you have to change buses in the middle of nowhere at this crossroads with a restaurant on it. The bus we got off there was a modern air conditioned job and the second one was like a tiny mini bus with people hanging off the sides and crammed in two to a seat etc.

Anyway the bus actually drops you off miles outside of the city, everyone else had lifts waiting for them. We didn’t. This 14 year old girl who was there for some reason took pity on us and gestured to us to wait here, fucked off on her moped and came back 30 mins later with her friend, and the two of them gave the two of us a lift to her parents house, where we were apparently invited to stay.

Her parents did not agree. They gave us a look which indicated that it wasn’t that uncommon for their daughter to pull this kind of shit.

On to Google translate and they tell us “not concern, we friends also of Dutch”. OK? Back on the mopeds from whence we’re deposited on some random house’s front porch and told to wait there. Eventually this Dutch woman turns up and is all like “oh hi, yeah, I always get dumped with whatever white people happen to turn up here with nowhere to stay”.

Pretty boring story that./

8 Likes

Tried to hike up a mountain in Kerala when I had the runs and ended up shitting in the middle of a tea plantation. On the way day I was still suffering so our guide asked a dude by the side of the road if I could use his loo. Obviously it was just a hole in the ground next in a shed next to his house, but I was very grateful for it. Don’t think I left it in a very good state though.

1 Like

Mine are drinking stories.

Talked with a wasted local in Gothenburg at a pub. Good bloke. Had a pub crawl with him around small quirky bars.

I had one night to spend in Montreal a few years ago. It was a connecting flight between Vegas and Heathrow. Ended up drinking with a Californian couple until around 4am. Brilliant night.

Dull pointless stories when typed here but bought back excellent memories.

just like Indiana Jones

Very kind.

(I let her go ahead of us in the queue at the train station ticket booth and then she noticed our troubles and offered to take us home)

My work once sent me to the wrong side of Italy.

Usually they just give me cash and I book the transport myself. Someone in the office tho must have seen cheap deals for sleeper trains and just gone ahead and booked one. They booked me and my co-worker tickets on a Vienna-Milan sleeper train, then an early morning ticket to a small town called LegnaNo where we were supposed to be working. (Please note name of place).

The train turned up, and was an Italian train rather than an Austrian one. Italian trains are often shit. The cabin was horrible. Peeling old vinyl bunks, no aircon, and you had to share it with a load of strangers, and basically sleep on top of your valuables.

So after a crappy night’s sleep and 6am arrival on a Sunday at Milan station before anywhere to eat was open, we arrived in Legnano. We’d been given directions that the hotel was on the same street as the station, but we just couldn’t find it. I asked a local for directions. He had never heard of the hotel, and asked to look at the address. When he read it, he told me it was actually in a totally different part of Italy, and I should be in LegnaGo in between Verona and Venice.

So we went to the train ticket office. The ticket man told me it happened all the time- if you started typing “Legn” the train website defaulted to LegnaNo, a much bigger town. To get to where we should have been going on a Sunday required five different trains and a whole sheaf of seat reservations and tickets, and €50 of our own cash.

When we were finally on the last leg of the journey, we then got a €20 fine from a total jobsworth ticket inspector. Four of the five tickets were already stamped with a reservation time, but the final ticket for the last 10 miles or whatever had to be stamped at the ticket gate, and we hadn’t realised.

The kicker was that if I had arranged my own travel I would have been able to have a nice weekend in Venice, Trieste or Ljubljana and I would have been given expenses money for a hotel for Saturday night. Also had to hassle the office to give me the €70 in a timely manner.

I have always booked my own travel and claimed it back since, esp as the person in the office who does it now is basically fresh out of uni, not always the most full of common sense, and has never actually been anywhere much.

I enjoyed it.