Tribute Bands

I’m honestly seriously contemplating going to see ‘Europe’s No.1 Beastie Boys Tribute Band - The Beast Decoys’ in a few weeks. Have I lost my fucking mind or should I go?

Ever seen a good tribute band?

Edit: btw it’s £13 and walking distance from my house

2 Likes

sure why not?

All bands playing live are just tribute bands of their own records

14 Likes

Superb name tbf

10 Likes

:joy::+1:

In some circumstances reckon I’d prefer to see a tribute band:

lower expectations
added impressiveness if they end up looking and sounding a lot like the band they are playing
cheaper

2 Likes

if they’re terrible it’s also funny and memorable as opposed to disappointing I think

2 Likes

Saw the Australian Pink Floyd with my dad. Apart from a smaller light show it was perfect. Very different vibe though, obviously.

they had a Rolling Stones tribute band in my town a few years back, the guy doing Keith Richards looked about twelve with a wig on, it was hilarious and good (I don’t like the rolling stones)

2 Likes

Used to be loads playing in my local venue when I was a teenager.

Best one was Teen Spirit, who at one point told us “we played to 20,000 people supporting Primal Scream in Portugal, but NOBODY ROCKS LIKE BEDFORD!”

11 Likes

Unimaginative tribute band name

2 Likes

I think I’m up for the Beast Decoys because I know I’m never going to see the real deal, so that changes the situation

2 Likes

I used to spend the occasional weekend in Crewe, and there was a place there called the Limelight Club that used to pretty much just put tribute bands on (it’s now been converted to flats, of course).

I had many a fun drunken night there.

There’s genuinely a Liverpudlian Crowded House tribute band called Crowded Scouse.

10 Likes

I once saw a Bad Manners / Madness tribute band called Badness

(Can’t remember much about them other than the name)

2 Likes

I’ve seen a bunch of Smith’s tribute bands. All the fun of those bops without That Prick.

Unexpectedly saw a Freddie Mercury tribute act while out for a quiet midweek drink about 10 years and it ended up being the best night ever. The guy had a massive fake tache and had stuffed his crotch so much it was a wonder he didn’t fucking fall over.

Oh obviously Björn Again are fucking sick as well

1 Like

Oh, also, the pub in my village puts on live tribute acts on Sunday nights during the summer holidays.

This was Tina Turner.

Fucking awful.

26 Likes

I saw Nearly Dan a few years back. Obviously they weren’t at the level of 1970s Steely Dan but they were decent enough, and played all the hits across two hour-long sets.

The fun mostly came from being in a room full of Steely Dan fans singing along to every word.

2 Likes

Love the efficiency of this. There was a fairly well known Stereophonics and Manics tribute called the StereoManics.

1 Like

I saw Children Of The Gravy (Black Sabbath tribute) around the time the real Black sabbath were doing their The End tour. There was a superfan there and he had tickets to pretty much the last 10 Black Sabbath gigs, chatted to him briefly and he said the Ozzy in Children Of The Gravy was better than the real Ozzy. High praise.

6 Likes

Screenshot_20210911-115114-382

15 Likes

That reminds me, I really should call my mum today

3 Likes