Trident failure & Theresa May

So Theresa May was briefed about Trident failure and then led Parliament into renewing Trident without briefing Parliament about Trident failure

how do we (you) feel about that then?

It’s a vote of no confidence in the old witch for me!

I’m more of a wrigley’s fan tbh

1 Like

Maybe she felt like the missile choosing to try to take out the US instead of West Africa was a sign that it was was thinking more clearly than most people in charge?

Clearly I am anti-nukes so personally this is just utter bullshit on top of utter bullshit, but it’s not like Parliament was ever going to to avoid us paying stupid money to keep a nuclear deterrent so in the scheme of things it probably didn’t achieve much.

4 Likes

Not massively different to my general gut feeling always having been that the prospect of nukes ever being used by accident or design or ‘legitimately’ or not is absolutely terrifying

well I dunno

seems as close as can be to a cover up against the public interest (purse)

Should’ve used it as extra reasoning to replace it - “We need a new one because this one doesn’t work properly look”

12 Likes

Can someone make a viral infographic about money spent on trident vs. EU vs. NHS please, ideally with some heavy handed satire on top

1 Like

Dreadful and worrying form. But I doubt it would’ve had any firm influence on the vote so inconsequential in that regard.

Seems a lot of people who have worked with May cite her lack of transparency and control freakery an issue. Not good.

Honest answer here. I think it’s pretty shocking that this is going to blow over in a couple of days (if that) such is the way of the media these days.

Like, I get the feeling if this had happened to Brown, Blair, Major, Thatcher going back, something like this would have absolutely finished them. Now all May has to do is avoid the question, put some shame on Corbyn for being a pacifist and all will be well in a couple of days.

And that’s aside from my leftie views on us spending billions of pounds for a weapon that is now known to have the odd wobble. Totally fine. :unamused:

1 Like

This is the moment Corbyn has been waiting for to well and truly get on with it.

4 Likes

that would have gone well!

I’m worried about this becoming an actual thing. It borderline is already.

y’see, this kind of line of reasoning makes it all the more baffling to me as to why she’d need to cover up the fact in the first place - could have just as easily spun @urbanfox’s reply above too (I’m not even joking)

loony behaviour

Trump has meant Trident’s staying forever really. She might as well have started testing in the home counties or something, nobody will give a toss now.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if this had swung the vote even more in the favour of renewing Trident. Can see some MP’s thinking “oh, it’s broke, lets pour even moar money in so we can fix it!”

1 Like

Silly little woman! cant’ even fire her spud gun properly, American missiles! are the greatest. SAD.

1 Like

Agreed.

see, this is the sad reality

but at the same time - Parliament DO NOT like being out of the loop on issues of this magnitude and for many MPs (whether or not the public response is a shrug) this will have forever put the stamp of suspicion on May & her Govt.

And given that the Tories only have a 14 majority, all the Brexit shit-up, the NHS crisis & the fact that May has no GE mandate …well, WTaF?

Yeah I agree with all of this, I just don’t think it’ll make a single bit of difference. There just seems to be nobody effectively holding them to account over anything. The Tories are miles ahead in opinion polls too. I reckon this ever so slight trident mishap (major, catastrophic fucking blunder) won’t hinder them much at all.