Triple J Hottest 100 2017

In the land of Australia, each and every Australia day, the masses gather and listen to the Triple J Hottest 100. A list compiled based on the online votes of many people across the world, but mostly Australia.

The polls for this year’s one have opened, and some people are including A.B. Original’s January 26th which draws attention to Australia Day being a symbol of the adverse impacts of British settlement on Australia’s Indigenous people.

The idea for the hottest 100 was stolen from Brisbane’s own 4ZZZ who still organise their own top 100 whose results are played each year on New Years Day.

So if you’re so inclined, you have yet another medium through which you can rate songs. This was my vote:

I used to vote in this religiously, even after Triple J started veering well away from my taste, and by a certain point in my life, I was only listening for half an hour a day. Last year, though, when I went through my rough top 20 songs for the year, and found only 3 or 4 of them on the voting list, I decided it was pointless.

I know that you can add songs to the list, etc., but what a waste of time. Kind of like talking to yourself. And I never approached the H100 as a chance to list my favourite songs, but as a record of the songs that defined the year. Now we’ve reached the point where I know barely a third of the songs that end up making the H100, and only 1 in 5 songs I rate as top 20 worthy are even on the default voting list, the whole exercise seems pointless.

Still enjoy listening to the countdown on the day whilst getting pissed at my friends annual bbq, though.

1 Like