Trump 2018 - Road to Midterms/Nuclear War

I read a good article about this over the weekend, from the Guardian in 2015. Find it absolutely fascinating.

Really think it’s weird how much denial lots of apparently bright people are in about the scale of this stuff. Noticed quite a lot of people in real life and online sort of glaze over as soon as Russia gets mentioned, like it’s complete fantasy, or that believing this sort of thing’s happening on unprecedented levels means you’re automatically ignorant of other issues.

I use Twitter and if i had to make a crude guess i’d say that at least 10% of the accounts i encounter are clearly bots. Not just spammers, but politically right spammers or algorithms. They’ve got 330m users.

One thing i’m to some degree unsure of, mind, is why they’d need ‘factories’ and to be paying hundreds of real people to carry out the work quite basic software could. Registering accounts, generating random posts and flooding threads with rightwing word salad’s surely something that could be automated for a fraction of the cost?

1 Like

We are through the looking glass

https://twitter.com/WalkerBragman/status/965360439357050880

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

https://twitter.com/apokerplayer/status/966141618402164737

1 Like

would love to get silly drunk with jeremy scahill and chat about serbia, blackwater, syria, trump…he’s pretty Good imo.

2 Likes

2 hours ago:
https://twitter.com/MichaelRCaputo/status/967021180979961856

Half an hour ago:

Old-school Republicans were thin on the ground, usurped by a crowd that included young and sometimes rowdy students.

are old school republicans the ones who did iraq, or nicaragua, or iran-contra, or rained fire on cambodian children, or…?

media still, still failing to grasp that trump has only made explicit what was always implicit in the GOP. moderate republicans haven’t existed for at least a hundred years. the party and the base are a shitshow of racist freaks, sexual psychotics, and christian fascists. they are and always were latent nazis who were looking for someone like trump to give them an excuse to rip off a mask of civility that never fit them very well to begin with.

5 Likes

You’d think watching Rubio getting schooled this week would remind the press that a President Rubio or Jeb Bush or Ted Cruz would have done at least 90% of the things the Trump administration has done so far

2 Likes

Quite a good pamphlet to be fair, though advocating succession for a state must be in conflict with various other constitutional commitments.

I’m not sure about this guy… let’s see… WAIT there it is: smokin’ hot wife! Well, he gets my vote.

5 Likes

6’ 3" of republican meat baby, mainline that shit into my veins.

3 Likes

He gets a free pass for Event Horizon and Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

2 Likes

Decided to Google Matt Schaefer, this came up:

Most of the Republicans elected in the tea party wave of 2012 have evolved since their freshman session. And then there’s Matt Schaefer. In theory, he represents Tyler, but any claims to that effect are hard to reconcile with his record. None of the bills he authored this year made it to the House floor. He was one of nineteen Republicans who voted for Scott Turner as speaker, and one of only five who voted against the House’s budget when it came to the floor. The Texans he really represents are the ones who wield the far-right scorecards.

Schaefer’s nadir came when the House took up a sunset bill proposing changes to the Department of State Health Services. This apparently struck him as an optimal moment to overhaul Texas’s abortion laws by tacking amendments onto the boring bill that the grown-ups were talking about. One of the ideas concerned the twenty-week ban passed in 2013, which includes an exemption for cases in which, as a result of a severe fetal abnormality, a baby has no chance of surviving. Schaefer, despite having voted for the original bill in 2013, called on his colleagues to repeal this loophole. What followed was perhaps the worst display of witless blather in a year bursting with competition. Bellowing at the front and back mikes, Schaefer brushed away all objections, explaining that pain and suffering were bound to be part of life since sin entered the world.

It’s a miracle that anything constructive actually gets done in some places.

Worth noting that the Democrat lead in the House polling is back up to ten points, having dropped to as low as five a few weeks ago. I think this suggests we shouldn’t read too much into the polling until late summer at least. Or that American voters are especially bad at making up their minds.

Out of all the thousands of lies and exaggerations Trump makes, the ‘i would run unarmed into a school with a shooter’ is simply the most ridiculous. A new low, even for him.

4 Likes

I would run unarmed into a school unless there were steps.

Wait… what? I don’t understand the context here. He’s saying he would personally run into a school, unarmed, to stop a shooter??

Ugh, just seen it now. An absolute fucking powerclown of a boy :exploding_head:

1 Like

He probably honestly believes it, though. That’s the worst part.

1 Like

He said that he would, yes. His spokesperson then said that he meant that he would provide leadership instead.

https://twitter.com/brianklaas/status/968157109073432577

https://twitter.com/thomaswright08/status/968222415632420864

6 Likes

I can’t get my head around that story. Is he trying to big up the Marines? You just wouldn’t think him admitting he’d have let a guy bleed out on the floor would go down very well during a presidential campaign. Maybe this dates back quite a bit?

I say nothing surprises me anymore then I read things like this and think “ACTUALLY?”