Trump 2018 - Road to Midterms/Nuclear War

Asked about mass protests against him in London on Friday, the day of the interview, Trump insisted: “‘Some of them are protesting in my favour, you know that? There are many, many protests in my favour.”

Aside from the centrist ‘these policies won’t work in the Midwest!’ stuff, I see Ocasio-Cortez is already getting the Diane Abbott ‘LOL look, she stumbled in an interview!’ treatment from the right. I’m sure it’s nothing to do with her race though!

1 Like

Putin’s got the silly bastard exactly where he wants him, eh. Don’t agree with all the anti-Russia stuff, like, but…

hysterical shite

It’s weird because a few years ago it felt like the anti-Russia stuff was massive from our government and Americas and it was all over social media. I seem to recall discussing it on DiS too: just a general ‘LOL @ Russia’ sort of thing surfacing in all kinds of memes, and it definitely felt like lame propaganda.

But that’s all fizzled out now and has been gone for at least 2-3 years I reckon. I’m sure that timing isn’t an accident either.

And on the other side I think Russia is definitely looking even more shady as fuck now. I was still seeing leftists I vaguely know posting about how great it was Russia was doing well at the World Cup and was wondering if people had actually been paying attention because let’s be honest: I think the anti-Russia
(well Russian regime but that’s a given with this sort of thing) stuff seems pretty justified.

2 Likes

I think I probably follow similar people to you, and I didn’t see any of this.

People via LPJ stuff so I’m talking total crazy-boat people. I see it because I have the LPJ FB page.

(Want to move it on to someone else but it’s actually a massive hassle to do so and I just don’t have the energy right now.)

I don’t know what LPJ is, unless you mean a type of guitar.

what is LPJ?

It’s just a leftist journal site I made for a mate 10 years ago or something and now it’s run by some other people I barely know. I just pay the minimal site costs and occasionally grab a DB backup. The guy was talking about trying to move it to Wordpress with the help of his girlfriend. I should chase him about it really…

EDIT: the only amusing thing is I get these occasional really persistent spammers mailing me for advertising space and they’re invariably from ultra-capitalist organisations and I have to ask if they’ve actually looked at the content.

1 Like

Ah yes, found it.

had a massive effort post about russia but i dunno, think i’d just be repeating myself. it’s very hard to discuss this stuff without appearing to lapse into whataboutery innit.

1 Like

I mean we’re all adults, we all understand that international relations is really fucked up and there’s a lot of stuff going on. I guess we have to accept a certain amount of hating the game not the player when it comes to stuff Russia’s done because obviously you can’t expect any nation not to be engaging in this sort of game play. Even UK/US relations seem to have had a healthy dollop of bullshit both ways post WW2.

Maybe the surprise is that during the Cold War we were always told the USSR was super powerful and don’t underestimate it and then the walls came down and it turned out they’d been fucked comparatively and most of our administration seemed to know this.

And then after Sept 11th there was a lot of bluster about how powerful the people behind it were and then finally we found the guy holed up in some grim place and meanwhile Iraq just fell at the first attack etc.

So here is a surprise: Everyone banged on about Russia being dangerous and it actually turns out they had the drop on us, they weaponised the internet and all kids of stuff against us. It’s a weird thing for us to be properly on the losing side.

2 Likes

this is so true. i think wounded pride and a sense of threatened hegemony is definitely putting the fear of god into a lot of western governments and consensus shapers right now.

also i dunno how big a factor it is but the proliferation of internet-based alt media that gives westerners the opportunity to see behind official narratives/see the consequences of our actions from the POV of people in non-western nations can only ever be bad for the above.

2 Likes

It’s totally going to play into anyone who refuses to see the realities here. I mean they’re going to dig in even more to say “Nope, it’s not happening. I can’t process that so I’ll just assume it can’t be true”.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/kalebhorton/status/1018958573978521600

3 Likes

The absolute worst is the people who are like ‘this is the lowest point in the office of the president’ like fucking Vietnam and Iraq weren’t even that long ago

1 Like

Ha, Garry Kasparov asked on Twitter if there’d ever been a darker moment in the US Presidency and there’s been a lot of mocking replies detailing all the shit the US has got up to throughout its history

that was exactly one of the posts I was thinking of! :smiley:

2 Likes

Inflatable Trump Baby is on display outside my office at the moment. Pop over to the O2 if you’re in the neighbourhood.