Trump 2018 - Road to Midterms/Nuclear War

Sadly this sounds pretty spot on.

3 Likes

vox is quite informative to understand the procedural aspects of american politics, its helped me understand much of this kavanaugh business.

Can be insufferably wonkish tho, and it’s uniformly terrible wrt foreign policy.

Tobias funke has taken the floor

get on with it, Cornyn

1 Like

absolute cowards

2 Likes

what’s happening here, and it’s really quite interesting, is the trump admin are saying climate change is real but it’s too late, we are all already dead, so there is no point in trying to deal with it

normal

Who is it?

His daughter

Guessed it might be. Queezy enough as it is, but…

:fearful: :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

You’ll never guess what… turns out that Trump isn’t self made and fiddled his taxes. I’m stunned!

1 Like

We already knew his dad was a multi-millionaire (and KKK sympathiser), no? Has some new news come to light?

Genuinely think he could do anything bar possibly ban firearms and it not impact his popularity amongst his base. Even if there’s proof of his gigantic money laundering and links to Russia they’ll just deny it and move on.

Oh sorry, yeah. I was pretending to be stunned by the nyt’s exhaustive expose of all his financial dealings. We all know he is crook and of course it makes no difference at all to anything.

The obsession with Trump’s base in the media (and I guess among the Democrat establishment too) is baffling. Well, OK it’s not baffling as I know why they do it (the media likes to frame the only way to beat someone like Trump as ‘try to win over the racists’), but it is infuriating.

Apparently two midterms polls recently had one with the Democrat lead halving and one with the lead doubling, so good to see the picture is totally clear then.

His base is what, 26% of the electorate? And they’re unreachable and will excuse anything that he does.

I’m not saying that they should be ignored, but no one who opposes Trump should be seeking to win their approval at all. There are still three quarters of the electorate to try and appeal to, and two thirds of that rarely vote in presidential elections, let alone mid-terms.

The fact that the Democratic establishment are not doing this shows just how broken the US system is.

2 Likes

I feel like there’s been almost no discussion of the measly 55% turnout at the 2016 election. I know the UK has been pretty bad with general election turnout at times, but the fact nearly half of voters didn’t/couldn’t vote for a new President seems to have gone unnoticed. Instead we get yet another profile of some Trump voters in a diner.

1 Like

Trump’s dad was so famously evil Woody Guthrie wrote a song about him. That’s evil!

8 Likes

Yeah, and that was the difference between Obama and Clinton.

Clinton supporters boast that she won more votes than any other candidate bar Obama, but that’s a failing. The winning candidate should always win the most votes in history in a country with a growing voting age population, even if you factor in the deliberate disinfranchisement of many parts of the non-white population in Republican states.

1 Like