Trump thread of 25 Jan 2017 - wall announcement special!

Well, for a start they can repeal Roe vs Wade thus making abortion completely illegal in the US

they might manage that with just a 5-4 majority but it’s a pretty close call and I’m not sure how partisan the current Justices are or how loyal to Trump or what their exact religious/social beliefs are

but if he/Pence get a 6-3 or 7-2 majority then the sky is the limit (given that the Republicans have both houses) in terms of what they might be able to accomplish - amendments to the constitution, high legal precedents, reverse State & Circuit court decisions etc. Basically any legal challenges to any Trump Executive Orders or legislation will be nigh on impossible to win/get bogged down for years

expect Trump’s SC nomination next week

so which country will scared American citizens flee to?

Canada

Hey, maybe Trump will invade Canada for some sweet Arctic crude?

Roe v Wade is safe for now I think, even with another conservative SCOTUS - 5-3 vote against regressive abortion access laws in Texas last year: Supreme Court strikes down Texas abortion law | CNN Politics

But yeah, the issue is really whether any of the other elderly SCOTUSes die/resign, at which point the pendulum swings the other way :frowning:

yeah, you’re right
it’s marginal at this point but I got a bit of a shock yesterday when I saw that 3 sitting justices were all born in the 1930s

eek

Oh good god the man needs to be sectioned

Not quite: they can’t amend the constitution without a 3/4 majority of the states. The bad news is, the Republicans are real close to having that 3/4.