Turning 30

are you familiar with Chet Baker? of course you are. you remind me of Chet Baker

?

1 Like

Iā€™m 37 on Friday, Iā€™m not arsed though

Rust never sleeps

i had a bit of a crisis forced on me. got denied for a promotion and then put into the slag heap as a three month long consultation took place around me, whilst i knew the entire time i was out of the door (in a pool totalling 1 with zero roles, classic).

so i decided to fucking move me, my wife and daughter to England, move industry, and completely change our life. itā€™s been partly successful (the payout was great but eaten into with a three month break between working) and weā€™ve struggled since.

i turned 30 before i started working again, so i spent my 30th birthday unemployed. wierd feeling that.

Iā€™m turning 30 in November and Iā€™m absolutely fine with it. Bonus of being born late in the year, you get used to your friends of the same age turning those milestones before you do.

However when I turned both 20 and 21 there was a bit of an existential crisis, but looking back I donā€™t ~really~ think it was the actual turning older that did it. More just being fucked up in the head in general. It was during this time that I started posting on DiS, obviously.

I have been this housemate for several other people. HTH.

2 Likes

Next June 25th Iā€™ll be the same age as Shelley when he died.

Already four years older than Keats!

happy birthday for November! hope you have a lovely day

1 Like

1 Like

Hywel is an underrated name.

Nah - sā€™all bollocks

Iā€™ll be thirty in thirteen months. Havenā€™t thought about it. Not particularly worried either,

Edit: Sorry NV, wasnā€™t meant to be a reply to you!

I think a big part of the anxiety occurs because people feel that they are prematurely stagnating or not progressing - whether that be emotionally, socially or materially, whilst at the same time their body ages.

I have tended to avoid that at notable age milestones, but it was one of the reasons why I left Newcastle and upped sticks and headed to London when I was 28. The first three years of living here were just a blur of meeting new people, doing new things, exploring the city putting on gigs, and so I never really hit a crisis at 29/30, and then after that I met my girlfriend, which was a major change in circumstances. I think it helps that a lot of my friends are not of the same age as me, and that thereā€™s still plenty to do and places to go to keep me happy with where I am right now.

I dunno. I might feel different when I hit 40.

I didnā€™t think turning 30 would be a big deal, just another number etc

but then it happened and I suddenly feel really old. like Iā€™ve passed the threshold where I can kid myself that Iā€™m still young or something idk I mean itā€™s fine, just feel like my life is no longer in front of me? shit why have you made me think about this

1 Like

A problem shared and all that.

Donā€™t be daft, mate. You live in the West of Scotland now, youā€™ve got at least another ten, maybe eleven years left in you.

8 Likes

hahahahaha

this is the next level up from a like