TV/Netflix/Amazon Prime/Apple etc series thread for 2022

I think he only directs the first episode just to say

1 Like

Ah well he’s set a great tone. Perfectly captured Tokyo’s vibe.

Finished the first season of Hacks this evening. Thanks to those who recommended it - it’s a joy.

2 Likes

Finally got around to watching We Own This City - four episodes in so far, I don’t think it’s my favourite of Simon’s shorter projects (Show Me a Hero) but it feels like a very well executed Greatest Hits set, and it’s fun seeing people from The Wire pop up again. Only realised from looking at the cast list that one of the cops is Dukie though…

1 Like

Three episodes into this. Exactly what I was after, thanks!

3 Likes

Borgen is the best political TV show of all time in my opinion, it’s an absolute masterpiece. However, for some reason, the subtitles they show it with on Netflix massively simplify a lot of lines which is really weird! If you were watching it on Netflix, I’d definitely recommend giving it another go on BBC iPlayer, the subtitles make a huge improvement

1 Like

Watched the first episode of The English last night and honestly I don’t know what to make of it. It is gorgeously shot but I don’t know the last time I saw filmmaking that… sincere? Like, every scene plays out in the most obvious way but the execution is undoubtedly excellent.

Intrigued to watch more tbh

Pepsi, Where’s My Jet is the perfect example of the type docu-series that Netflix should stick to making.

Nice short running time at ~160 minutes long - :white_check_mark:
Relatively lighthearted subject matter - :white_check_mark:

1 Like

Is it really? Ooo

*****DEAL ALERT ****

Currys are doing 6 months of apple tv with certain purchases

https://www.currys.co.uk/brands/apple/apple-offers/apple-services.html

I bought some 1.99 printer paper and got it

(arrange items by price)

x

5 Likes

I’m watching 1899 and enjoying it but thinking I’m going to be annoyed if they’re dead and it’s purgatory/hell, in an asylum or even worse that they’re in a matrix sort of thing (don’t tell me if I’m right or not).

I’m about half way through now and its looking like they’re in the bloody matrix aren’t they ffs.

I’ve just finished watching it, this is my assessment too

1 Like
1 Like

Huge fan of Dark, especially seasons 1 and 2. Less keen on the third as it got more labrynthine and bombastic.

If I didn’t have such regard for the creators I’d never have got past episode one of 1899. I think I’m on episode 4 of 5 now and I can’t remember the last time I gave less of a shit about something I’m watching. Not really sure why I’m continuing at the moment, bloody mindedness perhaps?

It’s just awful. Plot requirements drive the characters actions pretty much from the get-go. None of the characters or anything they do feels believable. Such a shame.

It’s like watching the final season of Lost without having seen any of the other seasons first.

1 Like

Watched episode 5 last night. It’s just getting worse.

I’m in it 'til the end now because I’m finding it funny that it’s so bad.

Love the fact that a transatlantic passenger steamer doesn’t have an actual doctor or chaplain as part of the crew.

I’ve got one episode to go of 1899 and yeah bloody matrix again, can’t someone think of a new twist? I’d have much preferred it if it was actually in 1899 and just weird stuff was happening. Although I am liking the 1970s sci-fi vibe of the ‘real world’.

I’ve watched it and it’s terrible. There’s a case for not blurring your spoilers - at least if you ruin it for people before they start it may prevent them having to endure this crap. I actually got to episode 7, ordinarily I’d stick it out but I just couldn’t care how it ended.

1 Like

By any chance, does it start with him really violently taking someone down only to quickly switch to him dealing with a really banal family crisis we could all relate to?

(I have no idea about the show but when I saw the posters this was my first thought about the sort of thing it would be so I’m intrigued to know if I’m remotely close to the money.)