TV/Netflix/Amazon Prime/Apple etc series thread for 2023

I imagine it’s partly because it’s a period piece and maybe Fincher doesn’t compromise so on top of a big wage bill it ends up being expensive but still more niche than something like Stranger Things.

I assume Netflix can’t likely leverage particular programmes due to their flat subscription model also. But maybe I don’t understand subscription TV. I would imagine in the old days a show like that would have particular advertiser markets to allow it to pull in more revenue, for instance.

1 Like

Love both but Severance is one of the best tv shows I’ve watched in years!

5 Likes

Really getting into Cowboy Bebop (the original anime) right now. For something so action-packed, there’s something very cosy about it; and it goes without saying that I love how each episode sort of stands alone and yet paints more and more of a picture of this sort of bleak cyberpunk setting. Also it’s funny and has a cute dog in it as well.

My friend tentatively recommended the live action version too - describing as (iirc) like a really trashy version of the Evangelion Rebuilds

7 Likes

Stunning show

So…

turns out I watched an episode and a half of series 2 before realising (i haven’t watched series 1)

Very hard show to follow after jumping in half-way through imo

5 Likes

Any idea how you managed thst??

turns out usually reputable streaming site ‘the piratebay’ has some issues with their tagging!

4 Likes

Fuckin slackers

2 Likes

The episodes (spoilers for maybe 8-10 episodes in? I guess? Where they meet Ed) where they go to Earth and it’s just this wreck and a backwater and nobody cares or really wants to be there - that’s some powerful bleak world building.

The film’s great as well. Fits in around episode 24 from memory.

1 Like

I watched the first episode of School Spirits and it seems the Americans liked Ghosts so much they’ve already remade it twice now

Just started watching while I wait for my Dominos

just heard about this, hell yeah. I mean AI didn’t turn out too great but that was a different sitch entirely. Psyched for that.

I’ve just finished watching the Waco documentary mini series on Netflix. Super interesting and I don’t really remember it at the time because I was only 10.

1 Like

Really enjoyed Swarm in the end - but it’s one of those rare shows that would have been better as a film I reckon.

1 Like

So the ending of Luther Fallen Sun: Elba cast as Bond is confirmed?

1 Like

Either that or, as it felt so horribly tacked on as an ending, it was made for Elba to really, really push it.

That or its the set up to a sequel.

Oh yeah, it’s this I think. I was just joking really although I’m sure it was high in Cross’s mind when he wrote it.

I think overall Fallen Sun was just poor but OTOH the movie format allowed it to move very quickly. I kept feeling like I saw the point where a longer multi-episode story had been trimmed of all fat and of agonising choices bits.

The mini series from a few years back was really good if you haven’t seen it. Think it was just called Waco.

1 Like