TV/Netflix/Amazon Prime etc thread for 2020

Excellent. Thanks all, will add to the watch list.

I find it hard to binge tbh because one of the strengths (no hugging no learning) means that you can start to see the patterns and mechanisms behind the jokes. But it’s still great, I just have to break it up a little more than Friends or something with a bit more emotional storytelling

I’ve been thinking about this (because it’s so close) and I don’t think I agree but I do think it is without doubt the best programme with over 100 episodes.

1 Like

Why the fuck did I just watch that? also sort the bloody virtual background out!

Finished Normal People it was alright. It was very well made but, the story was a bit :man_shrugging: seen it before however, it was probably the best version of that type of story I have seen.

Onto The Trip To Greece. A program I can defo go been there to.

enjoyed the series though i think the story works better as a book - on screen it feels a bit more standard love story, in the book it somehow felt a bit more unique but can’t really explain why

2 Likes

i don’t. it’s a great binge show

i was worried how they were going to adapt it, as i said above there i think the story feels less unique on screen somehow as one of the strengths of the book is it’s able to flesh things out a bit more and narrate what’s going on in their heads. on screen it means relying on a lot of them staring at each other from afar or crying which can be a bit less subtle compared to the plain spoken and unemotional style of Rooney’s prose. turned out really well overall though. would still recommend the book first and foremost but the series did a good job. i like Lenny Abrahamson so shouldn’t have worried

definitely skipped over a few of the more minor scenes from the book which makes sense even though at 12 episodes you would have thought they’d have been running out of material. kinda wanted to see Connell whipping Jamie at pool

you don’t really notice all the shagging in the book as it’s quite matter of fact and usually part of the plot, on screen you’re a bit like “oh wow, again”. quite tastefully done though.

overall very good and will watch again i’m sure.

they’re adapting Conversations With Friends as well so i should make sure to read that soon

The uni EPs were a bit like a mash up of One Day and what 50 Shades of Grey must be like, at times.
Good series but for me the change of director was noticeable and last 2 EPs just kind of existed. The jump to sweden was disorienting.

my friend described it as 50 Shades of Grey for Arcade Fire fans

16 Likes

:rofl:
I think they’ve spoilt a Fionn Regan song for me too.

I liked it overall but don’t think I’ll ever watch again.
Sometimes felt the sex scenes to be
A bit exploitative maybe and uncomfortable viewing even the ones that weren’t meant to be.
Think I said in another thread but TCD folks don’t come out of this well :grin:

Also someone needs to edit this video to make him pick New York

1 Like

think most of the sex scenes related to the plot and so were fair enough, only a couple felt like they weren’t really required - didn’t necessarily need to see Connell going at it with Helen, and in the last episode there’s like a tender little romantic scene between the main characters that suddenly turns into fucking in a bit of a jarring way, although i guess the purpose of that one is to show that their sex life has recovered from the previous misstep

and yeah i think the contempt for Trinity is spelled out even more explicitly in the book. and it spends more time on Connell being looked down as some ignorant culchie

Aye it was especially the Helen one I was thinking of no need.

It’s not like big city Irish folk to treat the rest of us as culchies :wink:

Felt things went just a wee bit astray after Abrahamsons EPs but part of that may be down to his episodes being focused on the school era mostly and not the abroad bits so had tighter focus.

Yeah the inner monologues in the book were one of the things I loved most about it, I’m pretty amazed at how much the actors were still able to portray without them or voice over (can’t image how bad that would’ve turned out). The only noticeable scenes missing for me were the leaving cert results and the talk with the author.

yeah one of the ways the book really worked for me was how alternating chapters would focus primarily on one character’s point of view, and how often the same event would crop up in the next chapter from the other character’s point of view and paint a fuller picture. i did pick up on one brief scene in the series where Marianne is remembering a previous scene but Connell’s words are different from what he actually said. but yeah that’s something i thought would be deeply missing from the show that they managed to do well enough without, and they did manage to get a few of the email exchanges into one ep as well (agree that a voiceover would have been horrific)

I can just start to anticipate the punchlines and the way people will react to things after more than 3 episodes in a go

Started watching Hollywood last night. 3eps in and it’s very watchable. Wife’s been watching Normal People, doesn’t really like it, which is against consensus on here.

2 Likes

wasn’t that fussed with Kingdom based on the first few episodes with other than it looking beautiful

• keep watching it
  • watch Gomorra instead
  • watch something else

0 voters