TV shows influencing your life in a tangible way.

I had some bread with little anchovies on it the other day and it was delicious. All my life I’ve thought “I hate anchovies”, but it turns out that I actually think “I like anchovies”.

I realised that it stems from Futurama, and an episode where Fry’s pizza of choice has anchovies on it and his friends mock him for it. I think watching that as a young boy has had a profound impact on me, and that subconsciously I’ve avoided anchovies ever since incase people take the piss out of me for liking them.

Which cartoons and tv shows have influenced your life?

1 Like

think TMHT also frowned upon anchovies

1 Like

I bought a Grateful Dead album purely because they were mentioned so much in Freaks and Geeks, and the dad in My So Called Life loved them

It was fine

1 Like

My attraction to Princess Jasmine led to me soliciting and obtaining a partner of middle-eastern/south asian descent

13 Likes

Would never trust an elderly pink aardvark

5 Likes

Oh yeah, so they did.

Got to say that I never really held any of those turtles in much esteem, so don’t think they played a part in my decision to not like anchovies.

1 Like

Twin Peaks made me try black coffee, don’t drink owt else now.

1 Like

due south taught me if I am ever locked in a safe that gangsters want to gain access to, it is best to cut the phone line so as they cannot communicate the threat to loved ones as leverage for me to open the safe. This has always stuck with me and I am certain this will come in handy one day

4 Likes

Coronation Street

3 Likes

95% of my jokes are lifted from TV shows.

3 Likes

In Red Dwarf, it comes up that Lister loves margaritas and I always wanted to try one (I think I was like 12 when I saw it on telly first time), and now I also love margaritas.

Probably not great that it made me want to start on cocktails at that age, but I’m glossing over that because NOSTALGIA.

2 Likes

He-Man made me become the most physically powerful human on earth and sport a lovely blonde bob.

10 Likes

Sopranos made me start eating pasta with a fork held in my right hand.

5 Likes

I take anyone who betrays me out on a boat.

4 Likes

Think it’s the ones that make me happy and I can rewatch episodes and feel good, that is very special for me. The simpsons and tom and jerry - just a few seasons of each but these shows have been with me since i was old enough to watch TV. Fresh prince of bel air too, a later addition but the black joy, black excellence and black humanity that show portrays has always made me feel good. Love those shows and will casually watch one or more episodes of either show at least once a week

7 Likes

He man gives my brother adam war flashbacks from the time we were kids and my other siblings and I would call him prince adam/tell him that he has the power. We all had an unpleasant nickname though so it evened out

Ab Fab and Nighty Night have massively influenced my personality and most likely made me a worse person. But I do own some fabulous animal print shoes now.

5 Likes

I think about the jem’hadar alot

I remember Home and Away heartthrob Dieter Brummer appearing on Live & Kicking or something, and he said that he only brushed his teeth once a day, so I started doing that. Then all my teeth fell out, thanks Dieter.

1 Like

'er indoors wasn’t allowed to watch The Simpsons when she was growing up, so we watched all of seasons 1 to 11 together. I think it was about season 4 when she said “half of your personality is just Simpsons humour, isn’t it?”

17 Likes