Twin Peaks (Rolling)

[spoiler] Invitation to love - YouTube

It’s the soap in s1 [/spoiler]

i know, dude

1 Like

don’t call me dude, guy

I walked into the kitchen yesterday and our over timer was ticking away. Felt like I was the star of the show

2 Likes

Oh shit, ep6 tonight!

3 Likes

You staying up? Think I’m gonna get up early again and watch it before work.

All caught up on the first five episodes now and managed to avoid any major spoilers over the past two weeks (I did however hear about shudders Michael Cera’s appearance in episode four though). I think it’s served better watching them at a sporadic pace - imagine trying to binge through all these over the course of a single weekend?! Personally I’m benefiting from stepping back and taking a couple of days to reflect in between.

Anyway overall whilst it’s quite a different beast from what came before, I think I’m invested in the journey that the show is trying to take us on. [spoiler] It’s mostly been a collection of rather lengthy (hit and miss) scenes so far, hasn’t it? With the highs really landing and lows being painfully cringeworthy.

Most of my favourite material (apart from all the pure Lynchian moments) has been with the doppelgänger Coop’s (everything involving coffee in episodes four & five was gold). Evil Coop’s phone call in episode five was particularly menacing! @ericthefourth I will shit a brick if Bowie managed to film any Phillip Jeffries material and they’ve kept his casting as some sort of surprise!! Also was anyone else reminded of ‘the voice’ in Seinfeld when Coop was at the slots?! Anyone?? HELLLLOOOOOOO :smiley:

Sadly most of the stuff that hasn’t really gelled has actually been in Twin Peaks - primarily the scenes with Andy & Lucy plus the Bang Bang Bar credits musical outro performances…

Also like @anon96483921 mentioned, the portrayal of female characters has been rather worrying. I felt particularly uncomfortable in episode four when Cole and Albert dismissed agent Preston and there was that weird lingering gratuitous shot of her behind :neutral_face: [/spoiler]

3 Likes

Yep, think im just gonna stick with doing that. Think i might be even harder on it in the cold light of day. Watching it in the twilight zone definitely helps a bit.

1 Like

Yeahhhh I think it’ll be very much a case of different strokes for different folks on that one… I’m very much hoping that’s the only Wally scene we’re getting… (and I usually like Cera in things…)

Also what was your favourite scene then?

I like being a bit woozy and bleary eyed in the morning and sticking it on with some coffee.

1 Like

100% this. Exactly how i feel about it. Feels like everytime something good happens, it’s immediately followed by something which spoils it.

I do agree but that wasnt like it was something which was accidentally a bit iffy, felt like it was david lynch going ‘political correctness is bollocks m9, deal with it’

Spoiler fails! Sorry!

2 Likes

The high-paced weirdness of it felt like the Bowie scene in Fire Walk With Me. Lynch has still got it.

I really loved the scene over the credits in the last ep, I think I probably mentioned it. Reminded me of Kentucky Route Zero (which is obviously itself influenced by Lynch).

2 Likes

Although I mentioned in my previous post that I couldn’t imagine binging or watching it like a movie, that’s exactly what Lynch is gunning for though and there’s really no way of telling at the moment which of these scenes (if any) are going to be necessary or vital to the plot as a whole further down the line…

Hmm I dunno that shot felt quite somewhat intentional… I just found it to be one of many examples where the camera seemed to be leering over the female character - like also in the second episode when Evil Coop murdered Darya in the motel room, why did she have to be in her underwear for that scene?!

Okay, I fucking loved that too :smile:

1 Like

My response to your first point would be that - as much as I absolutely love Lynch’s work - that sense of hit and miss is something that runs through his films, in a way.

Re: your last point i totally agree and that’s what i mean. Feel like it’s intentional and he’s being brazen about it at times.

Hmm dunno that sounds a bit ‘it’s supposed to be shit’ for me.

Ah I see, fair enough. What did you make of the return of Denise Bryson also?

I’ll be honest, I barely agree with my post, I accidentally hit reply instead of cancel and just had to go with it

2 Likes

Yeah @manches I’ve never felt Lynch has a ‘hit or miss’ nature to his work previously…

Edit: Oh sorry I just saw your response Eric4

1 Like