Uber Files

Originally it was, but it’s mostly a separate thing these days. A large proportion of their “contractors” ride bikes/mopeds/motorbikes rather than have cars.

Obvs, may be different in different regions mind.

2 Likes

There’s drivers that will do deliveries but most people doing deliveries aren’t taxi drivers (in the U.K. anyway)

Drivers for both services use the same app. I’d imagine something gets activated on your account to select which service you’re wanting to carry out.

1 Like

Use it all the time as my bus route home is about every 40 minutes later on in the evening and stops at about 11:45pm. Tbh I should use Liverpool’s other two cab firms more often, Alpha and Delta, as they’re often cheaper and they’ve put a lot of work into their apps. Just a habit really.

Got in an Uber the other week and the lad drove off with the back door open and my mate one leg in, one leg out, think he was stoned. Still didn’t give him a bad rating though, it’s 5 stars or no rating at all, can’t bring myself to go any lower.

2 Likes

Occasionally, if I have to. The local cab company does take longer but not by a great deal, plus the fares aren’t too dissimilar really. I usually get cabs home late at night and if I’m drunk, at certain times of the night Uber will charge about £20 for what would be a 10-15 minute walk.

Fuck bolt while we’re at it. A driver on their chucked my friend and two kids (5 & 8) out of the cab at 9pm last night with still a mile to go because the ‘app hasn’t done it properly’ He just refused point blank to go any further.

Who the fuck does that?!

Try not to use Uber but with public transport at night not being great and other taxis disappearing fast i do sometimes have to.

I’ve used Gett a few times when I’ve had to get a cab at night, it’s for black cabs so I think is generally ok?

Find it weird how normalised Uber has become in London and some other cities. When I was in Porto last month for Primavera a friend got one from the airport into the city, but like… the metro was really good, and cost €2?? Weird

4 Likes

“Ran over my foot and broke it, 4 stars”

3 Likes

Got really bad with using Uber Eats etc over lockdown, though do order direct when it’s available. Though often their own site just sends you into deliveroo anyway

Almost never get Uber though, I both like and feel comfy walking enough that id never do for a short journey and usually go to places with good enough buses and trains that I use them for medium trips. Think for myself (not counting a group thing where others book it for us all) I’ve got maybe 5 in the last 5 years?

Big company in behaving abysmally shocker. Wonder if there will be any consequences whatsoever. Maybe a £10,000 fine or something equally effective.

Fucking capitalism.

2 Likes

Could part of this be your age and who you know? When I went out a lot taking a cab was a rare thing generally when a bunch of you were leaving a place late at night and it was cold and you were wasted or something. Even then it was a luxury.

Nowadays we all go out so infrequently and just don’t drink as much that the cost of a cab or Uber isn’t as huge a prospect.

because uber was so cheap comparatively at the beginning, a lot of people just got into the habit of using them frequently when it’s late and they’re pissed

6 Likes

Yeh in about 2013-2014 we’d hop in one every time we went out in London - they were ridiculously cheap and available within a few minutes

yeah I was living in elephant and castle and we were mostly out in peckham, bethnal green type areas

pretty sure we had many times where it was £8 between four of us, seemed mad to piss about with buses

1 Like

Private equity vehicle in dramatically undercutting the competition, whacking the price up once a monopoly has been established shocker.

5 Likes