UK National parks (audit, photos, general appreciation and other)

I used to be able to see the South Downs National Park from my lounge, and I can be in it within about 10/15 minutes. Plus I get all the benefits of living in a city, so :+1:

1 Like

non

• UK National Parks
  • US National Parks
  • Dunno haven’t been to both

0 voters

There are houses in them but they existed prior to the parks being set up. Pretty much all of the parks I went to weren’t really suitable for anything more than the odd house.

1 Like

Not been to the states so not making any comparative judgment, but one of the things I absolutely love in national parks is being in the middle of nowhere, around nature, and turning a corner and there suddenly being a chip shop/pub/ice cream van there. Great stuff imo

1 Like

Yeah US ones are mostly feats of geographical wonder whereas UK ones are mostly some nice fields and hills for ramblers and dog walkers (massive generalisation).

Lake District/Peak district/North York Moors/Dales are probably the most exciting and dramatic looking and I’ve had enjoyable times in all of them but I spend a lot of time in Northumberland national park so I’ll say it’s my fave. It’s probably the indie option too.

1 Like

National scenic area subthread?

Just back from ben nevis and glen coe.

2 Likes

Isle of Wight

Forest of Bowland

Dornoch Firth

1 Like

THE MENDIPS

5 Likes

I’ve said this before but the best view in SE England is in the South Downs, atop Devil’s Dyke. I love it, shame the pub up there’s so shit.

3 Likes

Areas of outstanding natural beauty outside of Scotland, innit.

Guess it depends what you want from your NP, but Cairngorms for me every time. Massive, wild with a great bunch o’ mountains.

3 Likes

Love that place. The pub is shit though. I only went in there once - probably about 15 years ago - and it was only one step removed from a Harvester.

Live just a few miles from both Forest of Bowland and Yorkshire Dales, and about 20 miles from the Lakes, which is pretty lucky I guess. Different parks for different needs. Scenically the Lakes is best, but it can be mad busy to get around.

1 Like

Northumberland

4 Likes

whats the problem

I love the dales so much. They have a beautiful bleakness to them.

1 Like

give dog chips

1 Like

ok now picturing someone lobbing chips one at a time to a dog over the top of a public toilet and finding it quite funny

1 Like