UK politics April 2018

would take daddy macron far more seriously if he launched a ground invasion of the UK to liberate yarl’s wood to be honest. it’s basically a legal rape and torture black site.

it’s also a glimpse at how this administration is going to view EU citizens (and their families) in the UK post-Brexit and totally flies in the face of the ‘opening up to the rest of the world’ horseshit that is occasionally trotted out

and she doesn’t even have a Parliamentary majority

I despise her

3 Likes

thatcher was an enemy i could respect. i know what she stood for even if i’d have wanted to see her destroyed had i been alive in the 80s. theresa may is just a vaporous cloud of resentment contained in weird clothes. it says less about corbyn’s labour and more about the crackpot bitterness of people in this country that they look at her and go, “yeah, i’ll put her neck and neck with labour in the opinion polls, i hate the idea of other people living decent lives.”

I despaired when May became leader with the whole “safe pair of hands, sensible adult in the room” narrative. Her tenure at the Home Office was nothing but unmitigated cruelty, but pre-Brexit, immigration just didn’t garner the headlines it now does. I remember my wife sobbing when the minimum salary stuff was floated, and me trying to comfort her but knowing that we could be utterly fucked.

Fuck Theresa May, she’s the embodiment of the worst kind of superficially competent politican with evil politics.

13 Likes

remember when she refused to attend that inquiry about sexual abuse of female detainees at yarl’s wood because “she had another very important meeting to go to”.

Could anyone imagine a scenario where the current Prime Minister handed in her resignation or was forced out of office? What would have to happen for there to be a realistic chance of that?

I don’t have a huge interest in politics, but every time i read the papers it just looks like one fuckup after another - the social care proposals before the snap election, the response to Grenfell, Windrush, cosying up to the Saudis, the handling of Brexit, massive cuts, etc. It’s fucked up yet she doesn’t seem under much pressure at all…

1 Like

she really is… outsourcing decisions & responsibilities to Serco & G4S ffs

She even barred the UN Human Rights commissioner tasked with investigating violence against women from visiting Yarl’s Wood in 2014

She’s every inch the Fascist that people think Trump is but she has the ‘vicar’s daughter’ appeal to little England where Trump has the ‘self-made businessman’ (lie) schtick that appeals to heartland US

god she disgusts me

2 Likes

May will only go once the press and backbench Tories aren’t nervous about the possibility of a Corbyn (or indeed any Labour) government. Then they’ll have her out and Rees-Mogg in within about a week.

1 Like

this is why people blame Corbyn - point to ‘weak opposition’ and the right-leaning press have an excuse at every turn

can’t ever imagine her quitting unless she had a serious health condition - there’s not even a whiff of integrity about her that would lead her to even admit her mistakes let alone step aside for someone else to take the reigns

you missed out the Manchester Arena bomb in your list there too …the background to that, Libya, intelligence services and agents under her watch as HC…stinky as fuck

Windrush isn’t a fuck up. It’s intentional.

3 Likes

It’ll never happen while a Corbyn-led government is a possibility.

However much the press and her own backbenchers on both sides might oppose the path her government is taking, they will never go as far as to trigger an event that would lead to a Labour victory.

2 Likes

100%

it’s even a cash cow for the outsourced immigration enforcement industry …like, “Oh we know you have rights but you don’t have proof, the necessary papers. So spend a fortune on processing & administration or GO HOME”
ergo, people who are most vulnerable are most under attack & that’s has been the MO of May in every area of policy that she’s touched

Aye. I don’t know how you can look at May’s tenure as Home Secretary, then May’s actions as Prime Minister re: migrants and conclude that what’s happening is bureaucratic failure instead of actual policy.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say ‘never’. I think there’s enough loonies who have scented enough blood off of Brexit to think they could make Prime Minister Rees-Mogg/Gove happen if she fucks up enough times. There’s nobody Tories hold in greater contempt than those who have no authority, and they’re pretty damn contemptuous of her.

It’s the same with the ‘mistakes’ in the benefits’ sanctions system.

It’s a design feature, not a flaw.

One thing that has made me uneasy about the Windrush stuff is that much of the reaction to it from those in the centre is still pushing the line of ‘deserving’ and ‘undeserving’ immigrants, which is how we got to this situation in the first place.

3 Likes

They know they don’t have the numbers in parliament to do it though.

And The Daily Mail

Part of the problem is when put alongside the other people who put themselves forward as potential leaders, she IS the sensible adult in that room. It’s a measure of quite how bad the Tory party is at the moment that it’s the case.

(As an aside, I liked the claim from No 10 this morning that she wasn’t aware the meeting with the Carribean representatives had been declined until this morning. That would probably make her the only person in Westminster not to know about it yesterday.)

3 Likes

yeah this,

it’s almost as if we are lacking the very language to enable us to see beyond borders, classifications, class structures, social boundaries, ethno-centric Nationalism etc.

wonder why?

One would hope that there’s a limit to the number of times a Prime Minister can plead incompetence over malice before it became a problem. But May seems to be able to do it every other day without any of it really sticking to her. Funny that.