UK politics April 2018

that’s why it’s evolved to “nuclear take”, “volcanic take” and the lesser spotted “pyroclastic take” imo.

• wikipedia election summary
  • prediction
  • retraction of prediction

Basically I’m being unnecessarily mean immediately after calling out unnecessary meanness

labeling everything anyone says as a take also contributes to the atmosphere where everyone feels they’re performing/competing for likes and retweets online and therefore creates more people coming up with stuff genuinely worthy of the label in the first place.

2 Likes

It had a fucking Simpsons reference in it, what more do you want.

But yes, fair summary all the same.

6 Likes

not sure the boy really handled any of this well today even if this is true. it’s obviously dodgy AF and more proof the tories are gutter-level vermin, but…it all just seemed a bit redundant tbh. then whipping his own dudes to vote against his own motion to prove…something…they can’t be unaware how the press will spin that to make them look ridiculous. which they kind of do. a very daft day imo.

apart from that classic isle of wight quote posted upthread. that was a gem.

I’d posit the way those technologies are designed makes the way they’re used implicitly performative.

Yeah I know

hate it when people talk about “benefit cheats”. i tell them unclaimed welfare is far higher, hopefully make them think. never hear an answer back…

and from ‘the week’…

Last year, the National Audit Office published a ‘stocktake’ of incorrect payments by Department for Work & Pensions and HM Revenue & Customs to those claiming state benefits, including working tax credits.

It did not make for comfortable reading, especially for the DWP, which is likely to miss targets for reducing payment errors. In total the NAO said £4.6bn had been overpaid to claimants in the 2013/2014 tax year, either as a result of mistakes and errors or outright fraud. On the other hand the departments had underpaid claimants by a further £1.6bn, potentially leaving many vulnerable people struggling for money.

1 Like

just talk to the person about what the issue you have with them or their opinion is. If you can’t be bothered to do this because you’ve heard it too many times before don’t engage in the first place.

(that’s a collective “you”. I’m not pointing this at you personally don’t worry :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Not a fan of the hot takes insult personally, unless it’s really warranted. Dan Hodges is a consistent scorcher tho.

I suggested that he made himself look dim during his tilt at the mayoral candidacy, not that he necessarily is himself. I’m not sure how aware of the campaigns you were, but he didn’t do well up against the other candidates and came across as too simplistic at virtually every hustings and in most statements.

1 Like

Weird that only him and Diane Abbot get called thick or dim

Can’t think why

Fuck off with that accusation.

3 Likes

Feel free to search “Lammy thick” on twitter pal :+1:t2:

I wasn’t calling anyone on here racist but it’s the language that racists use towards lammy and abbot so people should think a bit more

Labour seem to be chasing this up. It should be the smoking gun that ends May and Rudd, but I’ve lost the ability to be optimistic about this kind of shit anymore. This Government seem to be immune to empathy, common sense or self-awareness.

Rudd could go, but the Tory MPs and Paul Dacre will decide when May goes, and that won’t be now.

1 Like

Probably a decent opportunity to off her given she barely hung on to her seat last election, and she’s not a frothing Brexiter.

No fan of Rudd, but why? She surely can’t be held accountable for something that happened 6 years before she took charge of the department?

Looking forward to seeing how they defend May if it turns out she authorised the paper shredding and there’s evidence of deportations. It’ll be proper ‘through the looking glass’ stuff.

2 Likes