UK Politics In February 2024? What could possibly go wrong!

1 Like

make the open air market the heart of the town, just like Bury.

3 Likes

Fucking hell. What a prick.

6 Likes

Now would you like me…. to be the Primark?

2 Likes

That bit when Caroline Lucas challenged him on the economy and funding tax cuts and absolutely took him down. Lovely

1 Like

https://x.com/britainelects/status/1763396200277926068?s=46&t=_DgZ2F-XDEissjd_g6iXaw

Turnout was about 39%

17 Likes

Congratulations to the 23 per cent who saw that coming.

Excitingly, it’s the first by-election in which both the Tories and Labour have finished outside the top two since the Combined Scottish Universities by-election of 1945.

2 Likes

Oh this is very funny I knew there was a chance didn’t think it was going to that big. I was sort of right that if the turnout was bigger than the other by-election Galloway would win. But at the sametime quite clear it didn’t need to be.

Rochdale have had some notice to buy the football club by a company that also own I think MMV Masstricht so he can chalk that one off.

1 Like

Galloway’s a prick, obviously. But this is funny*.

From the BBC roundup:

At the 2019 general election nearly 90% of all of the votes in Rochdale went to either Labour, the Conservatives or the Liberal Democrats.

In the by-election those same parties could not manage 27% between them. Instead, the top two positions were won by Galloway and independent local business owner David Tully.

Even though the next general election will be different, this result is still likely to cause deep discomfort to the Labour Party, who in many ways could be seen to have brought these problems upon themselves.

Nobody can say for sure what the result would have been had Labour selected a candidate they could stick with and campaign for, but given the party’s previously strong position in the constituency, it is certain to have been a closer contest.

(My emphasis.)

Yep. Hope Starmer is in a cold sweat right now.

*well, it would be, if it weren’t so tragic

3 Likes

Wry smile at labour and the conservatives dropping huge amounts of vote share but the Lib dems still not managing to gain anything, and Reform still coming last.

Anyone trying to take big lessons for the general election out of this is probably on a hiding to nothing, as pointed out by numerous people in the thread. The history and personalities involved make it such a complete outlier.

3 Likes

I think it’s indicative that Labour could lose a few safe seats to strongly-organised campaigns (basically I’m just desperate for McShitter and Halfwaythere to lose their seats). It might not happen, but clearly turnout will be depressed by the options on the table, so seats with low Tory votes will have shit turnout unless people properly have someone to vote for.

3 Likes

The noticer has become the noticed!

24 Likes

That David Tully guy got more votes than Labour and the Conservatives combined, which is also v funny.

4 Likes

Who?

3 Likes

Labour will come out and say this result is a clear rejection of antisemitism and shows we did the right thing in withdrawing Mr Ali

7 Likes

Glad i’m not the only one who has no idea who this is referring to.

4 Likes

Can’t say it’s not deserved for Labour (and the other parties I guess) but Im struggling to get any joy out of it. Galloway is such a grifting prick, but not in a way it’s even slightly novel/entertaining anymore.

4 Likes

The first is Streeting.

https://twitter.com/LukasMukasPukas/status/1763339172578795612

17 Likes