UK politics May 2018

what’s this?

Jewish people are moving to Borehamwood?

Who will you vote for?

Obviously feel free to not say if you’re a bit weird like that, or won’t be voting or are as yet unsure.

• Labour
  • Tory
  • Lib Dem
  • UKIP
  • Greens
  • Other (please say below)

0 voters

Postal vote done ages ago - really takes the excitement out of polling day :unamused:

Matt’s nailed it again!

8 Likes

Poll should be multiple choice! Can vote for 3 different parties if you want.

good old matt

1 Like

I do wonder what the YouTube generation is going to bring us; they appear socially ever more liberal, but there’s a heavy tinge of Tory economics underlying their media.

In short, more younger and BAME voters moving into the suburbs, therefore making traditionally Tory parts of London move towards Labour.

I think the reaction and attitudinal polling I saw to Uber losing its operating licence in London quite instructive on this point. Although worth remembering, as always with these things, we’re usually talking about affluent people in South East England.

2 Likes

What if the final/next form of right wing politics is the embrace of inexperienced youth that is slowly drawn from the libertarian fantasy of individualism to an understanding of the necessity of some degree of collectivism? The young believe they can conquer the world, the middle-aged know its better to share.

quite like ash

I had to read that first sentence 3 times before it made its way trough my skull. But yes, this is kind of my concern… with everything becoming ever more polarised, I worry that there’s what I suppose would be a kind of neo-Thatcherite age group, who grew up under Cameron and end up believing in the power of the individual to an even more extreme extent than the likes of Javid and Patel, especially when vacuous ‘self-made’ people like Zoella et all are the new celebrity figures to aspire to be.

We’re blaming Zoella for the Tories now?

1 Like

She’s fucking bright and then some ain’t she?

2 Likes

Isn’t misleading kids by marketing yourself as super accessible and ultra honest while releasing a ghost-written novel the height of Torydom?

The other thing I can see happening is that once the younger generation start to acquire wealth they’re likely to consider it incredibly hard fought and are therefore less likely to be redistributive (see also - Baby Boomers, but for slightly different reasons)

I did a postal vote before I moved, but there was definitely only one choice for us!

Where I am in London we get 3 votes. Obvs because London people are better we get more.

1 Like

3 votes for us leeds pals as well if memory serves

Can’t be right, have a look at your ballot paper again

haha WE’RE COMING FOR YOU, THAT LONDON

https://www.leeds.gov.uk/your-council/elections/leeds-city-council-election

1 Like