UK Politics - May 2022

delia smith?

2 Likes

WHERE ARE YOU?

3 Likes

This stuff on twitter right now about London and regional inequalities

Was just scrolling past it and saw this one

Really explains a lot tbh. Many London based commentators and policy actors clearly just don’t understand what geography is.

I get that geographical solidarity is important and it must be maddening to constantly have BUT WHAT ABOUT LONDON POVERTY brought up. But tbh I get just as tired of discourse treating london/south east as this big homogenous blob of billionaires.

1 Like

Yeah sure, it is a bit tiring when we can see deprivation all around us.

The point OJ is making here isnt that though.

He is actually arguing that these geographies are irrelevant, which is nuts.

1 Like

London is a centre which drains wealth from the rest of the UK and from poor people around the world, and has done for hundreds of years.

I honestly think Owen Jones would really benefit from going back to university

Looks like another good week in store for Lee Anderson

15 Likes

That Maclean quote today about how people should ‘work more hours or get higher paid jobs’ is out-fucking-standing. They really do keep delivering the goods. 10/10

2 Likes

I really like the dialectic of Martin Lewis

Like, I feel like the way he takes people through his reasoning process is really good at revealing what’s actually going on and helping us resist very individualised conceptions of poverty (cause he starts by taking them seriously).

5 Likes

I enjoyed this reply

7 Likes

The dismissive hand wave at the end

Trying to work out which of these two wrote the article

2 Likes

Did… Keir write this?

Edit: nvm, it was an old video that’s doing the rounds today

Awww I love/fancy Ed

2 Likes

This is awful.

CW: rape

A non-Daily Mail link ↓

BBC CW rape

Conservative MP arrested on suspicion of rape - BBC News

1 Like

Given the seriousness of the charges, being told to stay away from Parliament is all very well but I hope actions are taken to close down their constituency surgeries in order to safeguard their constituents

I mean, that’s the very least that should happen

9 Likes

Not sure whether it’s appropriate to post it in here before anything’s officially announced, but Andrew Tiffin has named the MP on Twitter.

Apparently there are 3 other Tory MPs also under investigation for historic sexual assault allegations.