UK Politics - November 2023

Potholes being replaced by central Government to the tune of 8 billion is one of the most clear examples of how austerity has failed local government, and those who are actually responsible and should have the funds to fix these things have been failed.

It’s like putting a price on a decade of fucking up the budgets, in exactly the same way how it affects my Sim City play throughs.

8 Likes

I’ve sent my proposal! Literally billions coming my way!

21 Likes

There’s been a bad pothole on a main road by me for months but I noticed yesterday it’s finally been filled in. The policy is working already!

Just went on street view to see if it’s been there long enough to feature and turns out it’s been there, in various states of patching, since the very first streetview image in 2008.

Almost literally just a sticking plaster isn’t it? How much to properly resurface and maintain things?

1 Like

Stop the Potholes!

1 Like

You joke, but…

One of the newer targets for exhaust emissions is around particulate numbers. Gasoline engine particulates are so small that measurement techniques for particles that small and at such a low amount to meet the proposed legislative targets are a bit iffy, and so car makers were pushing back to say they’re going to need more specific criteria, and were in turn invited to submit suggestions.

I was in a meeting about this where someone half seriously proposed using a measurement protocol that had a very turbulent flow, so there would be more collisions between tiny particles, which would then combine to form a smaller number of bigger particles! 50% reduction in particle number right there. Boom.

1 Like

Having worked in various councils in various different roads departments, on maintenance and design sides… I’m… not gonna comment. It’s simply too infuriating.

1 Like

Not sure you can, really just need fewer vehicles on the road.

why tax cuts now?

why not in a year or six months?

are they gonna hold an election in May?

If it’s income tax, I assume they wouldn’t come in until April anyway?

1 Like

I guess it somewhat makes sense in that they can cut tax from April 2024, they can pledge to cut it from April 2025 but might not be in power then to carry it out. And maybe whenever the next GE is, they’re hoping to campaign by saying that they have actually cut tax rather than just that they plan to.

And of course, they know that Starmie and co. won’t reverse tax cuts made by them?

I remember the potholes of my childhood

8 Likes

They shouldn’t call them potholes. There’s almost never any pot in them.

3 Likes

What’s behind the Tory MPs going after the UAE-funded Barclay Brothers bid for the Telegraph and Spectator?

I mean, I think it’s fair enough not to want a foreign government to have proxy control of a newspaper, but we have that already with the Independent and Evening Standard.

Do they have a preferred bidder? Seems strange that they’d risk alienating one of their biggest trade partners. There’s got to be a big pile of self interest somewhere given the amount of UAE money slashing around the country.

Reckon the MPs raising the concerns want Paul Marshall?

Or

They’ve seen the shambles of some of the things at the Evening Standard and don’t want it to happen again.

Or

A group taking over that has ties to Manchester might (although I doubt it) change the tone of the paper. (Bit of a reach this one but still :man_shrugging:)

Or

Abu Dhabi having influence in the press isn’t a great look, although I think PIF have some shares in DMG so who knows?

Few reasons to choose from really. I think it’s fair fucks to raise concerns even if they come from a place of self preservation.

Sounds like it’s this, aye.

At this point it wouldn’t surprise me if they proposed bringing back the Workhouses.

Just more bleak misery isn’t it

Excited for Liz Kendall to riposte by saying they should be forced into offices at bayonet point, actually.

12 Likes

The govt: THE PANDEMIC IS OVER THERE’S NO NEED TO WFH GO BACK TO THE OFFICE!

also the govt: NO EXCUSES! JOBS CAN BE DONE COMPLETELY REMOTELY. YOU DON’T NEED TO GO TO AN OFFICE!

can’t wait for operation soylent green in early 2024.

16 Likes

Soylent green is potholes.

6 Likes

She put out her “your only value as a citizen is your work” statement yesterday as it happens

3 Likes