UK Politics: October '22 - “Mistakes were made and that’s the reason I’m standing here”

She’s attempting to position her own party as not right wing enough, in a gamble to try and effectively pull them with her rather than risk losing the bigot voter base.

She has little to lose and I suspect is being bankrolled to do so. This is where shit goes full dark timeline I think.

Starting to wonder whether the only reason Braverman was kept in the cabinet was due to donor backing.

4 Likes

Well jfc it’s even worse than we thought

https://twitter.com/refugeeaction/status/1587144378262474752?s=46&t=Vpjqc68QvkViYFhCfKqs-A

4 Likes

Some absolute dickhead of a Tory MP was putting forward that fucking idea about stationing a cruise ship in international waters to process asylum applications; yeah great, a fucking prison ship, to go along with the prison camps that we already have, to imprison people who desperately need help. This is beyond fucked and I don’t think it’s going to get better.

EDIT - It wasn’t an MP, it was Kevin Saunders, former chief immigration officer for Border Force. Get knotted, Kevin.

Fucking heartbreaking hearing about violent attacks on asylum seekers, all a direct result of years of utterly racist, backwards rhetoric. How the fuck do these cunts sleep at night

24 Likes

Thought this was an excellent - and frightening - article

It was posted on twitter under this graph

2 Likes

Her bloodlust makes my skin crawl. Disgusting, hateful cunt

31 Likes

Can’t entirely parse how angry I am about Suella and her gormless transparent bigot-pleasing rhetoric.

Imagine still voting for a party that props this up. You’re signalling, powerfully, what you believe in

15 Likes

It’s all by design: if people come regardless of how our asylum policy’s designed as a deterrent, they do everything they can to make them give up once they’re here.

I knew a guy who went through the asylum system during May’s tenure in the Home Office: he was told by his lawyer to expect his initial application to be rejected, because pretty much everyone was, and were only properly considered on appeal. Inhumane way to treat someone, and a waste of everyone’s time and money to boot.

4 Likes

£7 billion profits that’s class well done BP

They probably can now pay to clean up all that paint Just Stop Oil have been squirting around OR they could pay more tax lower the burden on the vulnerable, I just don’t know anymore.

There’s a big bit missing from this article about how the decimation of legal aid and the idiotic regulatory framework for asylum casework has further exacerbated the situation.

There are huge areas of the country, the whole of Surrey for example, where there is no accredited immigration advice so even cases with a witness statement and ECF application completed can’t be taken forward because there’s no one to do the work.

This is obviously by design. Successive governments have decided to starve out immigration casework.

2 Likes

Yeah, absolutely

And this this is Tory doctrine across all public spending infrastructure; decimate and degrade services, outsource profitable bits to private contractors(donors/family & friends), use the degradation to divide & conquer communities and reduce people to economic units

3 Likes

Gove

2 Likes

It’s November. EVERYBODY OUT

8 Likes

Mail don’t seem to like it that much. Think that might be to do with that she said the right wing stuff a bit too loud though.

I was thinking that this morning. BBC World Service podcast did a whole bit on her and the tribulations of those affected by immigration policy in the UK. Unheard of from a part of the BBC which is usually toothless even by BBC News standards.

1 Like

@moderators Can we get a lock on this thread?

1 Like

I almost never post in the politics threads, and this was my first reply :sob:

6 Likes

A lot of more moderate Tory voters also find the hardcore anti-immigration and general authoritarian rhetoric really offputting. Patel for example, there was always an assumption online that she was incredibly popular with the party but she actually polled horrifically amongst Tory voters.

Tories are evil etc but the very hard-line invasion stuff Braverman is spouting plays only to the really hard right of the party and it’s a dangerous game to be playing if you’re alienating another bit of your base, so their media outlets are probably aware of that.

4 Likes

Bbc Uk GIF

5 Likes