Ukraine-Russia Crisis Thread

Fighting hard to not do the muted user bit of copying your reply and replying to @allisfulloflove here

11 Likes

Beautiful

5 Likes

stops stopwatch

“Pretending to have a user ignored”-posting is in danger of growing stale. I’m taking it to strange new places.

1 Like

You can mute one user but you can’t mute all the responses to them.

1 Like

Yeah but in the case of this thread you don’t need to check what the original post was. Because it’s the same worries each time. So easy enough to live and let live

2 Likes

Grim news out of Kyiv and Lviv this morning. Fully mask-off targeting of civilians during rush hour.

The bridge is an illegal structure connecting illegally occupied land to that of its occupying force who has moved (and was in the processing of moving) large amounts of military equipment over it in order to commit acts of genocide against the people of the country that it has been occupying for eight years. The explosion happened in a section that’s west of Tuzla Island, internationally recognised as Ukrainian territory. This is objective fact.

19 Likes

Taras Shevchenko University (the red building) and Shevchenko Park, central Kyiv.

I mean they haven’t been making a secret of what they’re targeting for months now, Putin’s entirely bought in to the nationalist milblogger strategy of collective punishment for the Ukrainians. They’ve wasted a good number of the drones they bought off Iran entirely on civilian targets rather than even trying against the military forces that have been rolling them up in the north.

1 Like

that crimea is internationally recognised as ukranian territory doesnt stop it having been in the possesion of the russians for nearly a decade, or change the fact that the ukranians have clearly held back from attacking there up to press. thats why i said de facto.

again - i wasnt making a moral claim about them destroying the bridge or targeting crimea, i think theyre well within their rights to do it. there are a lot of things that ukraine have a moral right to do in repsonse to being attacked but it doesnt preclude those acts from being an escalation in the war as it has been fought up to date.

1 Like

Hello Nord Stream 2 its been a while

Seriously if this all comes down to Putin being pissy nobody wanted to use his new pipe. I’m going to be well annoyed.

2 Likes
Kyiv drone strikes

Street where my wife’s office is was hit again. Last week was the strike on the 101 Tower, with the blast shockwave blowing out the windows next to her old desk. This time, they hit the Diplomat’s Hall, on the other side.

Everyone we know that’s there is safe for now.

7 Likes

glad for the last sentence (hence the like)

I’ve seen in a couple of places that they’re using Iranian drones

any idea if this just means kit they’ve bought from Iran or whether Iran are now supporting operations? Given what’s going on in Iran right now it seems like a potentially worrying development

They’re Shahed-136 kamikaze drones supplied by Tehran. They’ve had them for well over a month.

1 Like

There’s intelligence from over the weekend that Iran have finalised a deal to supply ballistic missiles too. Of course they deny this. Might have something to do with Israel now deciding to arm Ukraine for the first time since the conflict began.

1 Like

Maybe

Wouldn’t be surprised if it also had a fair amount to do with Russia supplying ’crowd control’ support & arms to the Iranian regime too

1 Like

Now with Iran and Israel in the fold, my “my enemy’s enemy is my friend” calculator is spewing sparks everywhere.

Seems to be a lot of chatter about Ben Wallace suddenly hot footing it to Washington today, cancelling a meeting in the UK. Has this happened on a regular/semi regular basis since the war in Ukraine started?

Can’t think of any reason why a Tory MP might invent a reason to be not in the country right now.

9 Likes