UK's most populous cities - which have you visited (plus general UK city positivity chat)?

I have visited…

• London
  • Birmingham
  • Glasgow
  • Liverpool
  • Bristol
  • Manchester
  • Sheffield
  • Leeds
  • Edinburgh
  • Leicester
  • Coventry
  • Bradford
  • Cardiff
  • Belfast
  • Nottingham
  • Kingston upon Hull
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
  • Stoke-on-Trent
  • Southampton
  • Derby

0 voters

Not been to Stoke-on-Trent (did not realise it was as big as it is) or Cardiff (as an adult - went when I was about 8 so not counting that) personally. Must try and remedy that.

Feels like there’s something in the British psyche to default label a lot of cities ‘shit’, whereas every one I’ve visited without fail has had some interesting stuff. Anyone want to go in to bat for some of the UK’s lesser loved gems (Birmingham has more roundabouts than Venice don’t you know)?

I’ll start with Hull - literally the punchline to every shit city joke. I genuinely enjoy visiting the place. Has a lovely geographical otherness to it, and there’s no denying that bridge is damn impressive. The old town/marina area is genuinely attrative - don’t know how much of it is original and how much was rebuilt after the WWII bombing but there’s a ton of nice streets and buildings. Got good green spaces, loads of pubs, good museum and gallery plus the world’s only ‘submarium’ (IDK :woman_shrugging: ). Also, it is well cheap. Hull :+1:

2 Likes

Only changed trains at Newcastle Station, but I’m counting it.

The only Uk place I’ve been that seemed to have absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever was Crawley.

I dunno, im sure some of the people there are nice or something? Not in my experience though

1 Like

Would say the worst of those I’ve been to is Stoke, many because of how it’s developed as a conurbation of towns, so it feels like a series of ringroads and bypasses without any actual stuff.

But yeah, generally they all have nice bits. Maybe even Stoke, somewhere. Maybe.

1 Like

TRENTHAM

ACTIVE

MONKEY

FOREST

4 Likes

Lived in Stoke for 3 years and its fine.

Suffers quite badly, as you say, because of its polycentric nature - its a bunch of towns rather than a city - but also probably because its got big cities (Birmingham and Manchester) 45 minutes either side of it.

Cities that I haven’t visited yet, in order of keenness to go:

1. Belfast
  2. Newcastle
  3. Kingston upon Hull
  4. Southampton
  5. Coventry
  6. Stoke-on-Trent
2 Likes

I’ve been to Crawley quite a few times and, commuter train service aside, it is indeed a bit of a hard sell. The indoor go-karting track is pretty good (it’s multi level)…

1 Like

should we vote for the city we live in?

technically i visited it before i lived here

Obviously yes :roll_eyes:

The one and only time I ever went to Crawley was for a secret Menswe@r gig when they were full hype but hadn’t actually really learned how to play properly yet so had to cut their teeth away from Camden

It was in some weird Country & Western style roadhouse bar/restaurant venue - wagon wheels on the wall, gingham curtains & table clothes, varnished pine woodwork

Is this typical of Crawley? Who knows :man_shrugging:t2:

Was it called Smith and Westerns? If so, there is a few of them in Surrey and Sussex (at the top of Box Hill and Chichester for instance).

2 Likes

The food in Bradford is amazing and Valley Parade is a deeply cool stadium. The city itself is absolute hell to drive through though.

What about numbers 981-1000 then?

• Southwater East Sussex
  • Ledbury Herefordshire
  • Worsley Greater Manchester
  • Haddington|East Lothian|
  • Aveley|Essex|
  • Portlethen|Aberdeenshire|
  • Comber|County Down|
  • Bonhill|West Dunbartonshire|
  • Lanark|South Lanarkshire|
  • Leven|Fife|
  • Dunbar|East Lothian|
  • Blairgowrie|Perth and Kinross|
  • Cupar|Fife|
  • Longton|Lancashire|
  • Thurnscoe|South Yorkshire|
  • Pocklington|East Riding of Yorkshire|
  • Burscough|Lancashire|
  • Broughton Astley|Leicestershire|
  • Peebles|Scottish Borders|
  • Caister-on-Sea|Norfolk|

0 voters

Excuse formatting

It’s possible. I really don’t remember. I think I was on the Durban Poison that evening

One in Tunbridge Wells too! Was top of the list to visit for my ex housemate who moved away last year

No

I’ve been to a restaurant called the Ledbury, if that counts?

(it used to be in London but has closed down because of youknowwhat)

1 Like

None of the above.

I am going to Crawley on Saturday :fairy:

Used to do swimming lessons at a private school in Pocklington.