"Underrated 90s alt rock, could be a decent thread in that"

Continuing the discussion from :musical_note: How Good Are They Really :musical_note: The Smashing Pumpkins:

I reckon Chavez fit the bill pretty much to a T

@noise_ramones and @anon9806217 to thread! (and anyone else who is interested, of course)

5 Likes

I can see @TAFH33 replying. I KNOW HE WAS IN A BAND WITH CORGAN!

EDIT: he’s stopped. Come back! I was only messing

2 Likes

I had thought XTC could be a good band for a thread or a HGATR. Not really 90s but a lot of their stuff really sets the landscape up for ‘alt-rock’

1 Like

After Jawbreaker’s break up, Blake Swarzenbach formed Jets To Brazil with Jeremy Chatelain out of Handsome and Chris Daly out of Texas Is The Reason. They don’t seem to have had the cultural longevity of Jawbreaker (possibly because their third and final album was, sadly, a stinker), but the debut, Orange Rhyming Dictionary, is superb, and probably my favourite album he was ever involved with.

9 Likes

I picked up a couple good bands I’d never heard of from this

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/soundsappealing/spins-blame-nirvana-the-40-weirdest-post-‘nevermind’-major-label-albums/

3 Likes

This probably isn’t what you’re going for since they were pretty massive, but Stone Temple Pilots were one of the best and most criminally underrated bands of the 90s. It’s crazy that most people dismiss them as lazy Pearl Jam knockoffs, they sound absolutely nothing alike.

Robert DeLeo was probably the best bassist in rock, and Dean DeLeo possibly the most underrated non-Corgan guitarist of the decade. His riffs and solos were massive. Interstate Love Song is one of the few best alt-rock singles out there.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Dear You is fucking great!

1 Like

there was (a decent thread in it)! Can never have too much 90s alt rock though

their last album had a couple of belters on it too

1 Like
5 Likes

ooh, been bumping this one a bit over the last couple of months, after neglecting it for 10+ years. It’s really good

Not sure what you mean, but the stinker comment was directed towards the third JTB album, not the third Jawbreaker (although Dear You was their fourth?). Anyway, fwiw:

24 Hour Revenge Therapy > Bivouac > Dear You > Unfun

Looks harsh on Dear You, which I do like, just not as much as the second and third records.

I need to learn how to read sentences properly, that’s what that means!

1 Like

Orange Rhyming Dictionary is an absolute all timer for me. I mainly opened the thread to post about it. Thanks for saving me a job!

Never got on with any of JTB’s other records and weirdly I never really liked Jawbreaker that much. But Orange Rhyming Dictionary…oh man.

6 Likes
4 Likes

I’ll say the same thing every time this thread restarts. The God Machine.

11 Likes

And this gets repeated too, but that’s because it bears repeating

4 Likes

Still one of my favourite EPs of all time

3 Likes

Pedro the Lion opening for Jets to Brazil circa 2001 was a decent gig, I must say…