Unilad

Started by the same guy, but now different companies.

UniLAD was bizarre, I remember it being “ho ho ho look at our ironic laddish misogyny” and then realising a percentage of its audience was taking it on face value and running with that shamelessly with an aggressively brandished venereal appendage… and then suddenly overnight it became one of yer standard “look at these adorable cats and indulge in semi-committal social liberalism” content farms

3 Likes

I guess it probably was, but somehow they got 6million of credit and blew it all before anyone realised

Dickheads

Looking at the article, it seems like £5m of the £6m is from the legal case won by the original founder of the site.

I wish I hated myself and the world enough to make millions from pursuing such an absolutely shit idea to its grim commercially viable conclusion

5 Likes

You’d think from the name that it’d just be one lad

25 Likes

Lads on poor?

1 Like

A very solid joke right there.

AHA!

6 Likes

Yes, this is sad, I agree

3 Likes

First reaction: Good. Fuck ‘em.
Second reaction: Shame about the unemployment though.
Third reaction: This just means shithouses like LADbible are gonna hoover up their likes with similarly shit content isn’t it? Fucks’ sake. BURN EVERYTHING DOWN.

3 Likes

I genuinely refuse to believe UniLAD employed that many people

I’m actively denying these facts

6 Likes

Not sure about the link between them now but bumped into an old friend at Primavera last year who edits content on Ladbible and they appear to have undergone the same shift. He was a bit dismayed at how their content had been misinterpreted in the past. Seems that they have aimed at being a more progressive influence for those who would otherwise be the stereotypical lads™.

Imagine having ‘Content Thief At UniLAD’ on your CV.

3 Likes

A friend from my hometown shares a lot of there stuff. Seems to be quite a bit of positive mental health stuff amongst the tired banter and years old links. Don’t think it’s anywhere near as bad as it used to be.

Might be thinking of Ladbible actually

Stop :clap: crying :clap: about :clap: loss :clap: of :clap: jobs :clap: it’s :clap: unilad :clap: not :clap: a :clap: fucking :clap: coal :clap: factory

10 Likes

Can someone explain to me what Unilad and Ladbible is? What’s their business model? Never heard of Unilad. Know Ladbible, but only from mentions on these boards.

If you can map it onto 80s or 90s cultural references, that would be grand.

1 Like

they share ‘content’ they deem their audience will find funny or noteworthy or even makeuthink.

gifs, meme pictures, short videos that would’ve been rejected by you’ve been framed in 1993 for not being funny enough, that sort of stuff.

They create veeeeeeeeerryy little of their own stuff, if anything at all. I haven’t seen a lot of it recently but when it first became popular, it was targeted at/by stereotypical lad students into ‘banter’ and there were all sorts of horrible things on there. Apparently it toned down towards the end of its life.

Their revenue is/was generated by people clicking on said content, sharing it on FB etc, and the Ad revenue that is generated from that.

1 Like

Wasn’t it unilad that after becoming woke over last 12 ish months then proceeded to hire topless waitresses at their summer party?

1 Like

imagine thinking your ‘job’ at uniladbible was going to last more than two weeks anyway

still refuse to believe its not just one guy

1 Like