Update to the storage of tinned goods

Up until now you may have stored your tinned goods upside down. This was a trick pioneered by the Tinman in 1976, who claimed that the effect of gravity on the contents over time will make for a much easier egress upon opening the tin, with the contents being stacked against the opening instead of the opposite end.

Upside down you’ll never frown, upside up you’re a fucking clown - the Tinman, 1976

Despite its obvious advantages there are a growing number of critics who claim that the effect is diminished by having to rotate the tin upright again in order to open it, particularly if the tin doesn’t have a ring pull thus requiring a tin opener.

The solution is to simply shake the tin prior to opening. This will loosen the contents to a greater benefit than that of the Tinman’s technique, and negates entirely the need for the tin being stored in a particular orientation prior.

1 Like

Great thread

2 Likes

OHWH! OHWH! OHWH! OHWH!

clap clap clap clap

OHWH! OHWH! OHWH! OHWH! OHWH! OHWH! OHWH! OHWH! OHWH! OHWH! OHWH!

2 Likes

The first I heard about storing tins upside down was bamos exalting about it on here around 15 years ago.

For whatever it’s worth, I have always been a shaker.

2 Likes

The Bamos method FTW.

1 Like

I store mine on their side.

1 Like

Really they were designed to be stored in a centrifuge with their contents always in motion and honestly if you are storing them any other way you should have your kitchen confiscated.

Don;t have any