Ursula K Le Guin Thread

…for all of your Ursula K Le Guin needs! @anon26275971

She was the best.

Got The Unreal and the Real on the go at the moment between other things. Not sure if I should go for Earthsea or Always Coming Home after.

8 Likes

Only read the lathe of heaven and the first earthsea, enjoyed the former but couldnt get on with the latter for its young adultness. Might read the dispossessed after I finally finish game o’ nerds.

This one? I quite like a big cumbersome collected volume personally, but then I only read in bed so there are plenty of easy reading positions for resting it on something.

It is a beauty.

10 Likes

Read The Disposessed. Sack of Game of Nerds, read The Disposessed NOW.

Found Lathe of Heaven the weakest (though it is still awesome). Read some of the shorter Earthsea stuff and really liked it, though indeed a little YA I guess I am ok with that?

2 Likes

I’ll read it next, i promise :smiley:

1 Like

Reading the dispossessed now. So far amazed at how she makes a story about a mathematician on a new planet so fascinating and beautiful.

Finished the first Earthsea, and it was very beautiful. Not sure how I’ll feel about having a new cast of characters in the second, Ged was so great

2 Likes

New characters can be good though as you get to explore more aspects of that world!

Like after reading Malafrena I missed Itale going into the rest of the Orsinian tales, but really his story was fulfilled so it was good to get other things from a different cast.

1 Like

I also want to urge everyone to read Five Ways to Forgiveness, but think it is its most rewarding read as the finale of all the Hainish stories as it is placed in the collection of them. I think as it has the most direct dealings with Hain itself, which is cool to see after it is built up through pretty passing mentions through the rest of the works.

Oh god I love her so much :heart:

2 Likes

Top marks, that’s one published where I work!

1 Like

It is a lovely, lovely thing and I say that just on its aesthetic qualities as I haven’t started it yet. I do love it when I publisher really puts in the details to making a book beautiful :slight_smile:

(also, cool place to work! Kind of wish after doing work experience at a couple of publishers I had put some effort into that area as a career)

I really enjoyed the first Earthsea. Liked the brevity and functionality of it all. Kind of reminded me of Jack Vance’s The Dying Earth.
My library has quite a few of her books luckily. Would quite like to watch the Ghibli film and this thread will remind me to seek it out one day I’m sure.
I also read and enjoyed The Left Hand of Darkness. Masterful bit of writing.

3 Likes

No one ever mentions The Word For World Is Forest when we talk about LeGuin, and we should, because it’s great.

5 Likes

Hmm really, should i try the next one then

My first Le Guin and I still have it (in storage)!

2 Likes

Feel like I pushed you a bit into reading the dispossessed @anon89873996? Pretty happy with myself if so.

Completely beautiful book. Only wish it had been like 1000 pages long

2 Likes

Recently read my first books of hers:

A Wizard of Earthsea - 3/5
Left Hand of Darkness - 4/5

Probably won’t read any others any time soon though for various reasons. While I enjoyed LHOD it felt out of time and its age nonetheless

Massive shout out for her non fiction as well, she wrote amazing stuff on politics, feminism, autobiography and writing.

2 Likes

Yeah very episodic, although quite common for its time I guess and kids’ books still do this sometimes - the early Harry Potter books tend to have quite a complete mini story in each chapter.

I also found A Wizard of Earthsea very cold: so many characters dying or dark things happening to our main character. There isn’t much joy, I guess?

That was the stuff I liked about it.

And the stuff I didnt like about it? No. 6 you wont believe! Wizard school

3 Likes