Ursula K Le Guin Thread

cool, looks good

ordered a couple of books by carol emshwiller, who I hadn’t heard of at all but she seems to really love.

saw this cover and had no chance of saying no

1 Like

People’s comments have made me look for the Annals of the Western Shore books, and this cover is…something. Certainly doesn’t seem aimed at the younger market.

2 Likes

better than this :face_vomiting: what I’ve got

2 Likes

It’s part of a boxset you can get of all her books - they all have this crappy cover design template with different photos

1 Like

I like them, not this one particularly, but the b&w photo ones are classy

1 Like

The two different sets of covers they had before were pretty typical YA (and frustratingly very whitewashed), as Em said this follows the standard Library of America template - though I do think the photo picked for this one is especially lovely, and the location of it makes me think of something described in Gifts, I don’t know if it was actually the inspiration or not but I like to think it was.

1 Like

Which one is this please?

I’m reading Kalpa Imperial at the moment and am liking it, as it’s very well written (as long as I don’t day dream too much), although for me isn’t as great as her Trafalgar book which I loved!

Ooh, I’m a big Saramago fan. Which book did you read? I’d be pretty ecstatic to see an Ursula essay on him in his books!

I have had Saramago on my to read list for ages, so good to know he is UKLG approved and @shrewbie approved (pretty sure it was Shrewbie who made me aware of him).

Actually bought Death at Intervals last year but it never showed up and it was used and the shop’s only stock so I got a refund rather than replacement then it fell down the list :frowning:

I read a Nnedi Okorofor book recently that had an Le Guin quote of approval on it, it was really good so I can see why she was a fan.

words are my matter. its good stuff but also ive spoiled a bunch of things that i had intended on reading at some point. she will tell you the plot of the book.

i also wanted to read saramago to impress shrewbie

1 Like

blindness, loved it. would you recommend me another? a less bleak one would be good

Maybe I’ll get it and and space it out to read any reviews after I’ve read the book she is talking about :grinning:

1 Like

For the last couple of years I have refused to read any introductions to books by other authors, as they always give away more of it than I want to. (Plus to an added extreme I sometimes try to read the back of the novel for a synopsis until after I’ve read the book) plus, it’s always good to read the introduction after you have read the book, as it makes more sense then - they should really stick them at the end of books!

As for Saramago, Blindness was my first book of his, and is definitely the bleakest of his that I’ve read. There are two other books that are part of a trilogy with Blindness, although the plot (and characters maybe?) are completely separate. But just thematically linked in the strangeness that happens. The next one is Seeing (about voting at an election) and the third one is Death At Intervals, which is strangely enough related to death but still a walk in the park compared to Blindness.

The Gospel According To Jesus Christ is also excellent, especially for me as a non-believer but having grown up with the church’s teachings. Saramago was also an atheist, so it’s his spin on the gospel.

1 Like

sames.

well tbf, I probably won’t ever read the introduction, order is - open book > flip past intro thinking that I’ll come back to it later > finish book > still don’t read intro cause I don’t want other people’s thoughts infecting my own straight away > book goes on shelf.

thanks, might probably go for the gospel

2 Likes