US politics thread: Will he wriggle out of this juice?

Liberalism is goosing yourself with scary stories until you’re so worked up you freely do all the awful shit the right would’ve done anyway.

3 Likes

Incredible deflection yeah.

Proper “Biden isn’t as progressive as you’d like? But wait Biff, what the hell’s that?!” *points behind*

What the hell happened to Glenn Greenwald?

Like, I get being cynical of US politics, but this is just… a bit unhinged?

For context, David Frum used to write speeches for George W Bush, and GG is calling him a “hardest-core Democratic partisan”, which is just bizarre.

I think he’s maybe more referring to Frum pivoting to anti-Trump ‘resistance’ rhetoric in recent years (aligning him with the Democratic establishment for now) - but maybe he’s just being a contrarian for the sake of it, that’s basically Greenwald’s MO these days

Greenwald has always been a misogynist and all-around awful person but he’s increasingly, very vocally, transphobic, as well.

2 Likes

Oh cool. Will unfollow then (started following because of Snowden etc, I think?)

Snowden & the recent politician are the only two “good” things that I know of from him. There’s a lot of material out there covering his overall terribleness, if you feel up to reading any of it.

1 Like

Can’t be overstated how much the entire Trump presidency existed just to fleece poor, ignorant people.

2 Likes

I watched about 20 seconds and it just struck me how boring he is. I’m sure he wasn’t always boring but at this stage it’s just like, ach, thank fuck I don’t have to watch the rest of this!

2 Likes

didn’t realise that, i saw him defending Owen Jones against Suzanne Moore’s weird ramblings over the weekend but it may have been a stopped clock scenario

Any thoughts on The Gravel Institute.

Thought this was a nice unsubtle skewering. There’s always gonna be some legit comebacks on some minor details with this sort of thing, but it’s gotta be a good thing to have this sort of breakdown in wide circulation. Maybe not so much for direct conversion, but to shore up those already broadly onside and give confidence when refuting nonsense?

1 Like

Mike Gravel’s 2008 presidential nomination campaign video is one of the best pieces of performance art ever.

2 Likes

Greenwald is an increasingly unhinged sounding Assad apologist.

Fuck that guy.

1 Like

He’s… weird. Has a set of opinions that put him at odds with basically the entire rest of the world. I respect the bravery and tirelessness he showed working with Snowden and uncovering the massive miscarriage of justice surrounding Bolsonaro and the Carwash Scandal, particularly given the immense danger he faces as a gay investigative journalist living in Brazil. But yeah his other opinions make him difficult to impossible to like or endorse.

4 Likes

That is… quite the thing. :grinning:

All I knew of him, until reading up on Wikipedia just now, was the basics of the Gravelanche 2020 stuff.

2 Likes

It would be extremely based if Biden’s does this

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/JustinYounger/status/1380255740166815745?s=20

12 Likes

Ho boy, Glenn Grenwald is certainly an interesting fellow. I followed him after listening to an interview with him a year ago or so, but in the last 6 months he has been picking some very odd hills to die on.

1 Like

Like, we all hate democrats mate, you really don’t need to buddy up with the worst of the worst to prove how much you do.

3 Likes