US politics thread: Will he wriggle out of this juice?

Shot

Chaser

13 Likes

Fair nuff

15 Likes

It will be interesting to see how this one plays out, especially as social media sites nuked any discussion of the Hunter Biden laptop leaks in the run up to November 2020

You can get to the full article with the 12ft ladder site

This is pretty cool, right?

2 Likes

it’s fucking amazing!

1 Like

9 Likes

Another quiet policy triumph for Smokin’ Joe…:rock: :us: :eagle:

3 Likes

Sleepy Joe’s real Green New Deal, eh?

12 Likes

Dank Brandon

1 Like

Assuming they don’t do anything because they think it’s ethically right, what’s their thinking behind it - big drive to increase the youth vote (which is about 1 in 2, no?)?

2 Likes

Maybe hoping all those ex prisoners who now (presumably?) get their vote back will register and vote Dem?

It’s a broadly popular policy that will go some way to appease the left of the party and the relevant voting block (esp young and minority voters).

1 Like

Florida had a question on the ballot in 2018 to restore the voting right of (most) people with felony’s that have completed their sentence. It got the votes. But the cunts couldn’t handle it and made a law that you need to pay back any fines/ fees associated with your conviction. Which meant about 800k people were back to not having their rights restored.

Assume this will go much the same way, they’ll just find a way to not let it happen.

Well yes I would expect them to try but I thought pardoning was a different thing and that this was that, effectively?

I mean, I hope so! I’m just skeptical of anything until It truly happens. See the backtracking on who’s loan debt is forgiven for example.

2 Likes

Yeah, being locked up costs fucking shit loads. Just to make sure a free person is in fact still trapped and punished forever.

A very very good step in the right direction, but it’s pardoning all prior federal offenses, which is a small proportion compared to state offences.

I suspect legalisation across the entire USA is still a very very long way off, which is bad cos it’s only at that point that I think the British government will be really struggling to continue with it being illegal here.

I don’t, even Republicans don’t care about this anymore. It’s legal for medical use in 38 states. I give it 10 years at most.

3 Likes

but isn’t the problem that a minority of nutters can prevent progress, as with many other issues?

Marijuana is illegal and carries heavy penalties just for carrying it because it’s a useful disciplining tool for the state primarily against poor black people, keeping them flowing into the punishment factories, upon which so much of America’s domestic budget is based. The police in particular won’t be happy to lose it and will dig their heels in to prevent general legalisation, likely using Republican legislatures to keep it illegal in those states they control.

From the Democrats’ perspective it’s a base booster before the midterms. They’ve gone from being a complete washout for them to quite close in a lot of places, largely thanks to how poorly the overturning of RvW has gone over. Something like this might just get them over the line in a lot of places. It’s all academic of course because once the Republicans gain control of all three branches of government again whatever vague semblance to democracy the US resembles is over lol, but hey, you can only do what you can do with the tools your party and political education give you.

4 Likes