US politics thread: Will he wriggle out of this juice?

Continuing the discussion from https://community.drownedinsound.com/t/us-democracy-and-collapse-thereof-thread-ssp-for-now-part-1/53569/10034.

Previous discussions:

5 Likes

Wow!

14 Likes

@hip_young_gunslinger incitement of violence has always been something not included in free speech so that’s a tricky angle.

2 Likes

Great thread, @system!

26 Likes

Cricket

5 Likes

I’ve been silenced (was typing my reply)

@xylo @safebruv

Yeah I’ve clearly just woken up :confused:

The problem is entirely that political discourse, advertising, messaging is reliant on these unregulated platforms. Especially in a campaigning mode

The president has other methods of reaching the population unaffected by this .

Anyway like I said, not awake yet

3 Likes

You’ve broken the board.

Sean’s crying now cheers

10 Likes

No but I see where you’re coming from. I’m on the fence.

Incitement of violence isn’t covered in freedom of speech ideas so banning him for that… sure

The problem is when someone decides that saying ‘this government should be removed from power they’re racists’ for instance, is deemed an incitement of violence

1 Like

As everyone has said this is a financial decision for these companies

What happens when the CPC or the BJP say that the only way to reach the massive markets of China and india is to block all critical voices?

1 Like

Think I’m going to become a pro-China tankie this year

2 Likes

@discobot the term tankie amounts to an incitement of violence. Roll d12 cancel hyg if successful

1 Like

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

1 Like

Yes, the fact that society has handed over wholesale its means of information distribution to a handful of companies is terrifying

1 Like

I guess the answer today is ‘is banning him good? Objectively yes. Is it bad that they can? Objectively yes’

5 Likes

Woah even Joylon has paused

2 Likes

Got woken up last night by the loudest foxes, could really have used the Windmill Lawyer’s help.

9 Likes

The fuck is happening. Starmer tweeting good stuff yesterday and Jolyon today

Am I the baddy?!

8 Likes

Looking forward to giant Mechajolyonzilla rampaging across the U.S. bat in hand clobbering Fox news stations

2 Likes

I mean he has a whole press team and a whole news network dedicated 24 hours a day to amplifying every single thing he says.

Twitter is one source. If the state controlled all media and then banned certain voices that is suppression, this isn’t.

Trumps personal addiction to Twitter is neither here nor there.

14 Likes

Jolyon’s been much better for a while imo

2 Likes