Vegan Pets

Does anybody do this (or even vegetarian/pescetarian diets)? Or does anybody with or without pets have an opinion on the matter. I’ve heard an argument that cats in particular need meat for their eye health…but fairly ignorant otherwise.

What a great thread choice for a Friday night.

I recall being told 20+ years ago that while dogs can be vegan cats absolutely can’t although I never heard why.

Someone claimed that vegan dogs are less smelly but who knows.

Dogs smell fine though…always a bit creeped out by dogs that smell faintly of perfume.

you can get taurine reinforced vegan cat food, i did. cat wouldn;t eat it tho.

I think the comment was just a general thing. If you go to someone’s house and they own a dog or cats there is often a certain smell their house has? I think that was what they were referring to. Was also 20 years ago so not really sure

any vegetarians i know who have dogs feed them meat (and lots of it). i think if you’re not going to do that, you’d want to do your research and be absolutely sure of what you’re doing.

The thing with cats is that unless it’s an indoor one there is a very high chance it’s not going to stick to the vegan diet :grimacing:

I know a vegan couple who are planning on doing this…they are taking their time in order to get it right to be fair…but I have to admit my first reaction was “is that fair?”…

i’m not worried if my cat goes out and eats mice - was thinking about my cat as an extension of my impact on animal processing industry. when shes out she can get after it afaic.

I actually refer to all meat and fish as ‘cat food’ cause i dont really think there’s any reason to be eating it unless you are a cat.

the rabbit is feeling much healthier since i stopped feeding him meat

Was thinking of that but also how often cats get neighbours to feed them too, TBH

How about vegan dogs? Would you give them a meat-free diet?

Hoping to get a dog this year, incidentally…

My dog has no meat in his diet, how does he smell?

Dogs and cats eat meat. Forcing your beliefs on them is immoral

same for children?

Yes

fair point but i doubt there are many people specifically buying cat food just to feed neighborhood cats. doesn’t matter anyway cause she wouldn’t eat the fucking vegan cat food. the little bastard. feel sad when i see her tin of grub has rabbit in it :frowning:

no.

Is anyone actually forcing the cat or dog to believe in something?

(As discussed above though…it’s physically necessary for cats to eat meat/fish).