Veganuary - anyone up for it?

On the off-chance you’ve not scoped this place out yet (just off Sauchiehall St)… https://qualityvitamins.co.uk/ might be worth a visit.

Shitty shit name. And it’s got fairly strong dickhead alt-medicine vibes (which seems to almost inevitably come with the territory, mores the pity), but, ignoring all that caper (and it’s nowhere near as bad as some places) - and this is the important bit - they have a strong food selection: especially yer chilled n.d. stuff like cheeses, sausages, cold slices, pastes and whatnot.

1 Like

bought posh chocolate from there once.

1 Like

I once went vegan for lent. I only did it to one up someone that said they were going veggie.
It was fine when you are cooking for yourself and I tend to cook most things from scratch anyway. You just had to make sure you checked the labels of everything when you went shopping. Things like stews, soups and curries were much better than making like an approximation of meat and two veg.
Found it tough if I went out to eat though. I didn’t like making a fuss for vegan food when I wasn’t really vegan for any real reason.
I missed dairy a lot more than meat.
I only ate vegan. I didn’t look at what beers were suitable for vegans.

the last 5 years for me have been nothing but disappointment bar tesco’s smoked soya & sainsbo’s spready garlic and herb. their feta is alright but sickly (coconut oil). wasted so much money on cheese

both are made by sheese (i think). the health food shops i’ve been to have always had a piss poor selection of sheese, though.

A lot of beers are vegan. Some use lactose (from milk) but that’s pretty rare. And some use isinglass (fish swim bladder) for purifying beers, but that’s dying out as well. This will tell you:

1 Like

She’s not very good at researching and probably hasn’t looked at that place.

I’ll pass it on.

No worries. This place is near there (across the road and up the ramp behind the GFT) too and worth a visit. http://theprojectcafe.weebly.com/

(Again, a strong whiff of classes and groups and whatnot, but the food is the important bit.)

Things like stews, soups and curries were much better than making like an approximation of meat and two veg.

This is so key.

1 Like

Really like this phrasing.

Heh. It doesn’t bother me in the slightest. 's all good.

But it’s one of the reasons it’s why places like that are places like that*, and CCA, Stereo, Mono, The 78, 13th Note, etc, are not**. Preachy vibes (or the perception of 'em) are a turn-off for most people innit.

'* veggie place on a back street, ticking over.
'** busy veggie place, and actual destinations in their own right.

1 Like

I read an interesting comment on Vegbook slating the ultra hardcore vegans who criticise people trying to take small steps towards veganism.

I think I could go veggie without much trouble but I don’t have the commitment/ patience to go full vegan.

1 Like

Yeah easily. My TV is veggie and I wish she was more preachy about what I eat so Id have a reason to shitcan the meat

1 Like

I’m gonna give veganism a go and if it’s not too hard I’ll continue. I planned on doing this before I realised it was a thing

5 hours to go!!! everyone ready?

dunno?

Went to the supermarket not realising they all close early for new year…so ended up at local Tezza where I got some vegan muffins I can have with honey for breakfast then retry Sainsburys or somewhere for the soya milk and all that gubbins. Might need to be 80% this week though as still have a load of collective yogurt to eat…

1 Like

BANNED ACT

1 Like

Down it
Down it
Down it

1 Like

Cheers. Never heard of this place and thought I’d researched Glasgow vegetarian places to death.