Veganuary

Who puts butter on veg?! Just steam stuff, tastes good as it is.

2 Likes

You’ve already got that down without the vegan/veggie thing.

1 Like

As epimer says, I just steam and add salt and pep.

Followed.

I have mostly eating out vegan shit. I am going to New York next week and the vegan stuff there all looks completely out of this world!

Followed. Thanks @hankscorpio

1 Like

I’m in New York from the 16th! Have you planned any meals yet? We’re staying in Brooklyn so hoping to get to Champs Diner, Screamers pizza and have booked at Modern Love. Would love to hear any recommendations you have after your trip!

Resolved to cut down on meat in 2014 and pretty much vegan now. Amazing health benefits, especially miraculous and unexpected disappearance of long-term knee and ankle pain. Big savings on supermarket bill too.

Jamie Oliver’s vegan shepherd’s pie is really easy to make and very tasty. It’s not really a shepherd’s pie, obvs. My missus is a practically a carnivore, but she loved it - we had it on NYE. You can easily improvise with the recipe too, for example you can chuck in a bunch of Indian spices instead of the herbs.

I’m not a big fan of soya milk, but it is fine for a masala chai as the sugar and spices dominate the flavour (I use A LOT of spices).

Other staple is porridge for breakfast - half and half oats / water, with mixed berries and maple syrup.

We’re staying in Brooklyn too! Although from the 16th I’m in Jersey City for work.

On our list we have:

Orchard Grocer
Confectionery (vegan macarons!)
Candle 79
Cinnamon Snail
Dunwell Doughnuts

And everything here:
http://www.mississippivegan.com/blog/nyc

I’ll be on my own on the Monday evening so i’ll write to you and let you know what’s been good!

1 Like

Gravy? Plenty of vegan granules available

This is phenomenal:

2 Likes

That does look good, though maybe a bit fancy for a midweek meal!

Make a big batch next time you do a weekend roast - it freezes well.

This is (a friend of) a friend’s blog which I found some good stuff on last time I was dabbling in veganism

Our house has decided to join the vegan train from about a week ago - hopefully permanently rather than just January - for a ton of different reasons

it’s amazing just how much whey powder there is in everything huh?

so experienced vegans, what can we expect and what pitfalls should we look out for? So far I’m not craving anything except for cow milk in tea, am enjoying my hugely increased intake of mushrooms & pesto and worrying slightly about my increased intake of wheat

also, the spice cupboard is overflowing

tell me vegan stuff

I follow her on twitter!

This is a huge Balonz household favourite: Tomato and Coconut Cassoulet | Anna Jones

Plus you can make load of shit similar to it with lentils etc and that sourdough topper (great with basil oil too)

1 Like

You probably already know this but a lot of pesto has (not even veggie) cheese in it.

1 Like

So far so good for me. Just ate a vegan cheese and vegan butter sandwich (with salad, I’m not a monster!) and it was fine. Tonight I’m making a veggie shepherds pie that I will veganise and swap out the red wine for stock.
My overnight oats were a bit meh this morning, but I’ll try just having hot porridge tomorrow instead of cold.

I do not like vegan cheese at all, especially vio life.

The only good one i’ve had is mozerisella which is what they put on the vegan pizzas at Zizzi and this one that I had over xmas with crackers and loads of onion chutney. Tbf I probably just liked the onion chutney.

1 Like

Just went down the market and really excited about veggie january now. Feel like meat eating has made me really lazy with recipes and meal planning

2 Likes