Verbing

I’m not sure if this was the exact image I saw earlier, but of all the occasions I’ve seen where nouns have been used as verbs, this has wound me up the most

Is it just me who gets wound up by this sort of thing? Should I just let it lie?

Is this the kind of thing that marketing people deliberately do because they know people like me will post the picture on a forum somewhere, increasing awareness of their brand? Have I been suckered in? Or are marketing people just the kind of people who think that this sort of thing is OK in the first place?

3 Likes

Don’t anger

5 Likes

Nouns that are used as verbs for some reason and shouldn’t be imo:

Gift
Adult
Party

Everything else is ok.

3 Likes

Don’t mind if I baileys!

6 Likes

We hear for you

4 Likes

What about the other way round?

I hate everything!

Sorry, I am hate

1 Like

discovered something I hate more than this the other day, and that’s when people say things like ‘I want ALL the cake for my birthday’ or ‘ALL the coffee and gin and harry potter’.

3 Likes

I make that wine o’clock

2 Likes

Sports is quite bad for this.

So and so “medalled”. Think I’ve seen “podiummed” as well.

I’m not too fussed though. Language changes. Bill Waterson put it best in one my favourite ever strips:

7 Likes

The worst of all is “leverage” in business-speak circles.

You can gain leverage, but you can’t leverage something.

Also always pronounced in the Americanized (sic) way.

1 Like

I get angered by all capitalist things, so it’s more that than anything

2 Likes

‘Benched’. That’s another one.

1 Like

That’s spectacularly bad - just looks as though they mis-spelled enjoy, which would have been perfectly fine.

One quirk I’ve noticed which always sounds weird to me:

I’ve got a friend who says stuff like “Can I come with?” Not “come with you” or “come along”, just “come with”.

It’s like when people say “I’ll write you”. Not “write to you” or “write you a letter”. Always sounds completely bizarre to me.

partying is fine (the verbing, less keen on the act)

gifting… I think that irks me because it feels tied to consumerism

obvs the other one should be scrubbed from history

1 Like

My granny used to always say “I’ll write you”. Sounded weird as an 8 year old and still does now.

1 Like

Partying I guess has been around long enough to be ok now. ‘Gift’ is just a bit annoying. “He gifted me this jumper” absolutely pointless, just say ‘gave’.

1 Like

Everyone in my manchester friends circle

“going shop, want owt?”

2 Likes

it takes ‘gave’ and makes it obnoxious marketing speak, doesn’t it

1 Like