Video game speed running

This is nuts. I like the ‘health door’ that suddenly gives Freeman 4000hp.

yes!

one of the things I love about explanation videos is finding out about those things

they’re so niche, but these runs use absolutely loads of them

Just watching the first few minutes of this and remembering how much I loved the opening sequence of Half Life. Really felt like you were entering an actual institution on a regular day.

7 Likes

I think the monorail ride is my favourite moment in gaming ever. Accidentally knocking the mouse during that ‘cut-scene’ and realising I was in the world. Blew my mind completely.

2 Likes

(both links in this post are timestamped)

^this is a very specific moment I remember from the talkthrough video

proper blink and you’ll miss it stuff

here’s them moving the video frame by frame and coolkid says ‘you did that manually?’ and quadrazid admits that he locked the vertical angle… but that’s still totally ludicrous given the speed he’s moving at

1 Like

I did once watch all 3 hours of that second video (tho not in one go)

Do love this speedrun, it’s immense. The bit where he gets to Blast Pit is nuts.

This is fun

1 Like

I really like this format of Super Mario Maker speedrunning where they get some levels specially made (and kept secret) from 2 teams of players. The players try to complete the levels but if they lose a life they pass the controller to the next person. Makes for a good watch.

1 Like

Ahh, that was amazing, thanks!
Glad to watch it without the stress of even contemplating doing it myself.

1 Like

And now I’ve autoplayed on to a 23 minute speedrun of Cuphead with a couple of the developers commentating on it:

It looks great, but it has made me realise that I don’t actually want to buy Cuphead after all!

1 Like

this guy

5 Likes

I need to check these out. The idea of seeing Final Fantasy games torn apart by glitches in that way pretty much noclips through my skull all the way to the INTEREST ZONE OF MY MIND BRAIN

I’m quite tired today but I’m really chuffed with that metaphor I came up with on the fly

1 Like

Holy heck, that’s insanity

Aye, never even came close to finishing that game

I like his chat too, ‘Flippin and a floppin, runnin and a droppin.’ 40 hours a week of that!

2 Likes

That is some wholesome content, though I’m very confused by some aspects.

The clunks? Or the booms?

The way he knows exactly where the projectiles are gonna be to get a cheeky boost is nuts. That’s surely frame counting at that point.

1 Like

Mainly how he kills the bosses so quickly and also why he has to pause for a fraction of a second at one point (is that to give him a cleaner line in terms of timing jumps around enemies?)

just saving certain powerups for the bosses i think. and yeah, just lining stuff up so that he can bounce off enemies/projectiles. fwiw his record is a matter of frames faster than the guy in second place.

1 Like