Votes at 16

Not really, but the maturity arguments are all horseshit I think. I am barely more mature now.

3 Likes

Just so much to think about. How it affects direct action, how those in power can utilise it, how personhood is shaped by it, how to some people it matters a lot and others a little or not at all in their thinking and how they go about their lives, how if you change one aspect of it like the age of voting it can bend a lot of other systems like education or retirement, how it affects everybody’s outcomes but nobody really has much agency. It’s like thinking about death and nothingness or infinity. Stressful to get a grip on.

2 Likes

how like some of the ideas for why kids can’t vote like that they aren’t mature enough or responsible enough or that they shouldn’t be burdened with it are creating a seperate class of people in a fascist way but then most people wouldn’t say a 5 year old should vote. Although if we got better governments for everybody if that is the case then is it immoral not to let them? Should you even choose who votes based on getting the best kind of government or is that immoral?!?

what should who is eligible to vote be based on?

If people could vote at 16, there would be more stuff about politics and voting taught in school. Surely that would be a net-good for everyone?

2 Likes

vibes

4 Likes

The idea that people under eighteen are too immature to vote, or don’t have enough life experience to make an informed decision is patently nonsense. Sixteen seems reasonable to me, but wouldn’t be against it being even lower. The vast majority of people over eighteen don’t vote based on policy anyway, so why the fuck not?

2 Likes

Yeah would push it lower tbh. Think I’d tie it to the age of criminal responsibility, which is apparently 10 atm. Would probably raise both to 12 though, based purely on vibes

Think this is wishful thinking tbh. Don’t think the major parties would want a more informed populace

1 Like

If 16 year olds can vote, should they be allowed to do whatever they want?

Buy cigarettes
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
Buy booze
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
Leave school
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
Receive benefits
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
Live independently of an adult
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Step in time!

1 Like

It doesn’t really make sense to me to link being able to do things with being able to vote. They seem like very different things. Should everyone have a say in how their society is run? Yes. But I don’t think having that say means you should lose the protection offered to those who may need it.

I don’t agree with @marckee above saying things are better if they’re consistent. A 12 year old with free access to the electoral franchise is a lot less at risk of harm (or even of doing harm) than a 12 year old with free access to alcohol for example. I don’t think it’s wrong to factor in the changing needs of our brains and bodies as we progress through childhood to adulthood, and this should inform things like availability of / exposure to harmful things.

That being said, in general people should be free to do what they like with themselves. If people weren’t profiting off things like cigarettes and alcohol then it’d be easier for me to answer yes to all the above. But having preventative measures in place is in part as a defence against the encroachment of corporate profit from doing harm into our lives.

4 Likes

Oh it’s definitely wishful thinking for inclusion in the curriculum to be commonplace. If the age got lowered - voting would only get taught in private schools and not state comps, and that would be the case for a while. Also if state teachers taught anything about voting in the current climate, there would be headlines like, “woke teachers bully your kids into voting for marxism” and other bollocks like that. But I think it’s inevitable the age will get lowered in our lifetimes, and then more meaningful steps can be made to increase political awareness at a younger age - eventually.

Earlier this year Starmer said he’d like 16 year olds to be able to vote. I really hope he sticks to it but feels more likely that he’ll bin it off :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Feels like a lot of the people who were calling for the voting age to be lowered immediately after Brexit now keep insisting that young people are stupid because they’re too left wing and don’t like Sir Kid Starver so I get the impression they’d happily raise the voting age to 25 now if they had their way