War and Peace: 2019

Ah, but as Bam’s hero Kozelek would say, it’s important that you put everything out there in all its ugliness/unvarnished glory and not just cherrypick the idealised or aspects of life which cast you in a good light. Pierre’s at the beginning of a journey and he’s trying to work out what/who he is, and where he fits into the world.

We’re all flawed and we all have elements of our character that we’re not too happy with - it’s just being human I guess?

I honestly thought you’d be reading some musty old version at the shop. That it would come out of a cabinet that could only be opened by three different managers with three different keys and then one of you would use the white cotton gloves to open it and read the day’s chapter to the staff.

1 like = 1 agreement about this vision

I’m picturing Grand Budapest Hotel where Zero reads to rest of the staff during meals.

this is true. he just wants to understand what it is to live, and sometimes that means puppy-like emulation of those who he perceives to be living large. It’s interesting because it adds to his slightly red-eared earnestness but it took something away for me a little. the bit about not honouring stuff because it’s all pointless is a very nihilistic russian decadent angle so that gets a pass obv

if zero was played by jason statham

:smiley: naw most rare book collectors have kindles coz often the books you buy are too delicate to actually read.

Am I on my own reading the Oxford version?

Is the ‘Maude translation’ different from the Penguin one?

Maude is the Gutenberg.

i’m on the ‘modern library’ version. i guess that’s the penguin one? :penguin:

I’m reading this version with a picture of Princess Lise on the front:

W%26P

(I think it’s actually more likely to be Natasha, but not gonna let that get in the way of a good edit)

My name is Mrs Yksnoklob…

What version you reading?

• Penguin
  • Guttenburglar
  • Other

0 voters

I’m reading a copy on Kindle which is called “War and Peace (Complete Version, Best Navigation, Active TOC)”. It has a picture of Saint Basil’s Cathedral on the cover.

I think it lines up with the Penguin one so far.

I read it when I had two months spare whilst teaching in Botswana. It was good. Probably worthwhile skipping over the bits where he goes off on one about modernising 19th century Russian agriculture though.

Alright, I’m caught up now. Found the descriptions of teenage girls a bit off tbh

Up to the end of chapter 12 now (Gutenberg edition) so I think I’m now up to where the Penguiners are and should stay on pace with them reading one chapter a day.

Bunch of new characters to keep in line now, the ol’ Rostovs, just when I thought I had a grip on everyone and their bear banter.

yeah kind of felt that was a nailed-on inevitability after his earlier - let’s be generous - ‘doting’ descriptions of younger women in general :’/

Yeah, no doubt it was entirely socially acceptable at the time but it doesn’t read as any less like a creepy old man rubbing his thighs when he’s going on about the “charming age when no longer a girl and yet not a woman” and comparing them to kittens etc.

Also, I pretty much immediately forgot who every character in those chapters was because those chapters were - to use the parlance of Tolstoy’s time - mad boring.

Oh god yes, so interminable. I just finished chapter 14 / your chapter 11 and FINALLY there is some meat to this section.

Also I’m with @hip_young_gunslinger with too many new characters. I completely lost my way a couple of chapters back with all the back and forth and even in Chapter 14 I was still going back to try to establish which character was where.

that’s a good 50% of all russian literature