War and Peace: 2019

That’s not gonna happen. I’d end up buying a physical copy after finishing it on kindle, and leaving it on my living room floor when people come round.

“Oh sorry, this place is such a mess, I’ll just move this- oh, it’s really heavy. Still, I guess you don’t get light copies of War and Peace, eh? Haha! Yes, I recently read Tolstoy’s War and Peace, that’s right. TOLSTOY.”

15 Likes

I’m so glad you’re back Eric

3 Likes

think it would be annoying reading 11 pages and then starting another book and then going back and reading another 11 pages

but if you didn’t do that you’d have only read one book the entire year

hmm

I usually have three books on the go at any one time anyway so no skin off my nose (I’m very well read and intelligent, see)

1 Like

Why is this a good book?

It’s like Citizen Kane, everyone’s said it’s good for so long barely anyone checks. It may very well be shit, and I’m about to invest a whole year in finding out it’s not very good. This is a wise and sensible use of my time.

(Do love Citizen Kane tbf)

Mate, it’s about war AND peace! They’re two completely different things that do NOT get along!

It’s like the original Cats and Dogs but as a really long book rather than a film

14 Likes

Haven’t read a fiction book in years, feels like this would be a good place to dive back in?

1 Like

do I have to read all the other wars and peaces first

4 Likes

Clearly

2 Likes

I’m doing this: check out my podcast ‘Warn and War and Peace in Pieces’.

It’s terrible

22 Likes

I’ve read War and Peace, obviously

@anon50098204 and @eems ce

1 Like

I’m in.

2 Likes

Save it for Thursday!

I struggled to get through the first page. I’d quite like to try it with something like Ulysses which is just wacky, but the Russian stuff is very heavy and historical which isn’t my bag so much

I’ve already read The Brothers Karamazov* but I guess if you want to go with the more mainstream Tolstoy work then that’s kind of cute.

*on my work monitor, in the last month of my three month notice period

5 Likes

No, I would have struggled to find the time for that around my eventual two and a half hour lunch breaks.

4 Likes

You need to read it using Tolstoy’s tongue

1 Like