Watchmen HBO

probably just me, but this has been a bit shit.

too many strands, not enough veidt/silk spectre, not enough squids, the kavalry people seem ultra lame. 4 episodes in and I still don’t really care.

there also needs to be waaaaayyyy more world building than there is. like, fuck man, if you’ve not seen the movie or read the comics etc, how the fuck are you supposed to know what’s going on. i’m a huge fan of both and still feel very detached from the ‘universe’ due to how much they’re concentrating on the main roster of characters and their relationships etc.

bold prediction - this will be cancelled, possibly at the end of the season.

1 Like

Do HBO ever cancel anything after one season? The only time I can think of where they did was that horse racing show where horses kept dying on set

EDIT: Oh wait, Vinyl

Deadwood got 2 seasons I think? Idk, could just see them cutting their losses if it doesn’t improve, especially given how saturated tv is now.

You’re looking it through your viewpoint though, isn’t it getting raves (or at least positive reception) from most places at the moment?

2 Likes

7/10 on imdb. 85% on metacritic.

yeah, its probably just me tbh. just struggling to see the mass appeal of this, really.

I’ve come back to this sentence and am busting myself laughing all over again.

5 Likes

I liked the first episode. GF was totally fucking lost and I didn’t help by rambling about giant squid and glowing men on fucking Mars.

3 Likes

Jeremy Irons is having a lot fun isn’t he. Reckon they shot all his scenes in a week and it was like a holiday camp for him.

he’s definitely on Mars right?

Regina King and whoever playing Silk Spectre are both v good

Enjoy that it’s a continuation of the comic rather than the film.

Can’t decide if he’s on Mars or being trapped by lady treau somehow

4 Likes

Oooowh It’s interesting because all the twists that’ve happened so far have been quite heavily signposted and it feels like there’s two heavily signpoated twists to come. That Ozymandis is on Mars and the senator(?) is in the kkk/rosachs. They’ll have planned this from the beginning to have a properly sideways twist the to match the original and Dr Manhatten will appear on the Mandalorian as baby yoda or something

I really enjoyed that I can double spoiler stuff.

just enjoying a carefree retirement somewhere in the English countryside with his clone mates.

1 Like

reckon he’s been trapped either on mars or antarctica by dr manhattan - only way to explain the watchmaker’s son thing and the frozen clone thing.

1 Like

Those IMDB reviews have been distorted by alt right wankers who are unhappy with the lead being a black woman and the seventh kavalry being white supremacists. Such nonsense.

2 Likes

An overall score of 7/10 is still pretty good considering then - Charlie’s Angels is currently 3.7/10 on IMDB because presumably weird guys are all giving it 1/10

“Can’t believe they made the angels women, SJW BULLSHIT”

Yeah, found myself saying “sounds odd but makes sense in the comic” then thinking ‘hmm…’