Ways to slightly improve your life without really trying

C’mon, we can come up with “better” suggestions than this 100 ways to slightly improve your life without really trying | Life and style | The Guardian

My suggestion: Get some really cheap headphones and leave them in your coat or bag, in case your normal headphones ever run out of power or you forget them.

2 Likes

We had a little chat about it last night in the day thread

Such an awful smug list even the ones that are nice ideas just seem terrible somehow.

2 Likes

This is a good one. Ever since I got AirPods I’ve kept a pair of wired headphones in my glovebox in case I find myself going somewhere to walk the dog and didn’t charge the AirPods. or simply forgot the AirPods. I suppose I should keep some in my coat too as I’ve left the house on foot a few times only to discover my AirPods were dead. Honestly, the real solution is that Apple should do a better job with low battery notifications on AirPods.

1 Like

:clap: stop :clap: using :clap: Twitter :clap:

8 Likes

Looking at that Guardian list, there are definitely some pretty silly and smug/privileged things, but overall some solid advice to be fair. Several I practice already. Here are some annoying ones (mostly) since I always like to focus on the negative:

Exercise on a Monday night (nothing fun happens on a Monday night).

What do you mean? You get to do whatever you want after a Monday workday. How is a Monday night any different from Tuesday night or Wednesday night?

Bring fruit to work. Bring fruit to bed!

Bring fruit to work, fine. Good idea. Bring it to bed? Fuck off you’re just trying to be funny and failing.

Eat meat once a week, max. Ideally less.

You can’t tell me what to do. But ok maybe I could cut down a bit.

Instead of buying a morning coffee, set up a daily transfer of £2 from a current into a savings account and forget about it. Use it to treat yourself to something different later.

This is well-intentioned from a budgetary point of view, but buying coffee at a local shop helps support that shop and its employees, and can be a nice routine that makes you feel more a part of your community. I enjoy it, although I have cut back since moving to a new house in November partly so I can get a feel for my new budget but also because the coffee is a bit further.

Always book an extra day off after a holiday.

Oops I shouldn’t be working today. So far I’ve spent most of my time on DiS as it is.

Listen to the albums you loved as a teenager.

With all this year-end list-making (that I tend to do every year), it gets me thinking about how much time I spend looking for and listening to new music every year. I think I spend a fair amount of time also revisiting classics, but probably not enough honestly. I could stand to spend more time with what I know I like versus constantly looking. And that probably applies to more recent years, too. We move on from each year and start digging into the new year’s offerings, but how much do we keep the last year’s music in rotation? Has digital & streaming made music too disposable? I think yes.

Far more than slightly though

1 Like

Thought I made a thread about this and I did! Just a month ago too, idk where my memory is going. Some lovely little things in there which are more personal to individuals than generic tips but still good

5 Likes
  1. Only ever go to the guardian site for crosswords and sports
1 Like