We think of our thoughts as being in our heads, don't we?

Because that’s where our brains are and it’s in our brains that all of that happens.

But before people really knew what the brain was/does, did they think of their thoughts in that way, or did they think that thoughts came from elsewhere, maybe whizzing about their whole bodies? Or is it natural to place thoughts in the head because that’s where most of the senses are based?

2 Likes

Some people say stuff like “Men just think with their dicks” and I wonder if this was a phrase before we knew about where the brain was as well

Reckon they did cos our eyes and ears and mouth are up that way. Reckon we’d have been like “there’s a lot going on in this region”

3 Likes

Sounds like you could take some advice from Aristotle

Lot going on in the torso too. Like if you’re hungry (which a lot of these people would have been, regularly), it’s your stomach that tells you that.

1 Like

5 Likes

whereabouts is the soul…? the arse?

also wear your heart on your sleeve…

some other random thoughts coming later

I think with every atom of my body and every atom of my body is at one with the universe. I am all.

1 Like

some interesting research out there about how the levels and types of micro bacteria in our gut have a very influential role on our mood, thought processes and personality.

also something about how an octopus has brain-like matter throughout it’s body and tentacles.

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7msoqnz2bcY :wink:

Including their dicks? How many nobs does a male octopus rock? Got to be around four.

this is quite a base post, imo

i imagine that we probably knew that the mad thing in our head was where our thoughts were not long after we started torturing rivals and figured out we could basically dismember someone entirely and they’d still be thinking and that, but if you cut their head off it’d be all over.

2 Likes

Descartes thought it was in the pineal gland I believe the dumb bitch

1 Like

It’s quite clear that you are unable to answer my questions. Shame. You come in here throwing octopus knowledge around like the big man on campus but you have nothing to back it up.

5 Likes

Didn’t the ancient Greeks think that logic and reason was formed in the heart? Sounds like something Pythagoras would come up with.

fine.

the male argonaut octopus doesn’t technically have a penis. It has a detachable limb that it can send out covered in sperm to float towards a female in order to fertilise her. it is believed the main reason for this to have evolved is because the female argonaut is around 5 times the size of the male and incredibly aggressive, being known to strangle and devour males who come too close when attempting to mate.

4 Likes

yeah, but we still think emotions are in our chest now.

1 Like

I feel it in my toes

3 Likes

This is what I was thinking of (with my heart)

1 Like